- Editing copy, written by reporters or features writers, to remove spelling mistakes and grammatical errors;
- Rewriting material so that it flows or reads better and adheres to the ‘home’ style of a particular publication;
- Ensuring that a story fits a particular word count by cutting or expanding material as necessary;
- Writing headlines that capture the essence of the story or are clever or amusing;
- Writing standfirsts or ‘sells’ (brief introductions, which sum up the story underneath the headline);
- Liaising with reporters, journalists and editors;
- Checking facts and stories to ensure they are accurate, adhere to copyright laws, are not libellous or go against the publication’s policy;
- Proofreading complete pages produced by other sub-editors using the main basic proofing symbols;
- Keeping up to date with sector issues, e.g. by reading related publications;
- Adapting all these skills for a publication’s website.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s Degree, Post Graduate Diploma, Professional Degree, Education/Teaching/Training, Humanities/Liberal Arts, Linguistics/Languages, Mass Communications or equivalent.
- At least 3 year(s) of working experience in the related field is required for this position.
- Preferably Senior Executives specializing in Journalist/Editor or equivalent
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent standard of grammar and spelling
- An understanding of the law relating to publishing and journalism
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal & IT Skills
Send your application to [email protected]