Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
Sirul mulls revealing all on Altantuya murder
Published:  Feb 17, 2015 4:58 PM
Updated: Feb 21, 2015 1:46 AM

EXCLUSIVE After fleeing to Australia to escape the hangman's noose, former police commando Sirul Azhar Umar is now mulling answering the biggest riddle – what happened to Altantuya Shaariibuu?

Last month, the Federal Court convicted Sirul and another ex-police commando Azilah Hadri of the 2006 murder and sentenced them to death.

In a recent telephone conversation with Malaysiakini , Sirul (below) disclosed that several Australian media have requested for a "tell all" interview with him.

"I haven't decided (on whether) to do the interview," he said.

Asked if he would be prepared to spill the beans should he proceed with the interview, the former policeman replied, "Yes, I am seriously considering the possibility."

Malaysiakini learnt that several Australian television stations have approached Sirul, who is now being detained at the Immigration and Border Protection Department's facility in Villawood, Sydney.

However, negotiations between Sirul and the TV stations are still ongoing.

'I acted under orders'

Meanwhile, Sirul also told Malaysiakini that he did not know the murder victim or Abdul Razak Baginda - the political analyst and close associate of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak who was discharged with abetting the murder.

"I was under orders. The important people with motive (to murder Altantuya ) are still free," he said, declining to elaborate further.

"It is not like I do not love the police (force) or the country, but I acted under orders," he reiterated.

However, he declined to comment if his statements were an admission of guilt.

Responding to a question, Sirul said he was doing fine at the immigration detention centre and is allowed access to a mobile phone as well as the Internet.

"I normally read Malaysiakini , Utusan ( Malaysia ) and Harakah to follow the latest development back home," he added.

The divorced 43-year-old father of two however is worried about his two children, both of whom are teenagers and had to stop schooling as a result of his incarceration.

Made a 'scapegoat'

Numerous questions have surfaced pertaining to the murder case. Chief among them was that the prosecution and courts failed to establish a motive for the grisly murder.

At the onset, Najib, who was then deputy prime minister, swore in the name of God that he had nothing to do with the matter.

His former aide de camp, deputy superintendent Musa Safri, who told Azilah to help Razak Baginda on the night of the murder, was not called to testify in the sensational trial.

During the trial at the Shah Alam High Court, Sirul had caused a stir when he claimed that he was being made a "scapegoat" to "protect their plans".

The former police commando was absent at the Federal Court when the verdict was delivered and news later emerged that he was in Australia.

The government had vowed to file an application to extradite him despite Australian law dictating that a person facing the death penalty in his or her home country cannot be sent back.

Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.