Points for Anti-Lynas groups to answer
My name is NK Khoo, (blog @ www.nkkhoo.com ), I am not a paid supporter for Lynas. I am only a person who support facts and logical thinking.
I have appealed for a long time to any anti-Lynas group to buy me a terrace house next to Lynas plant for me to stay there as a guinea pig to prove my belief that the Lynas plant is safe for human beings.
Anti-Lynas advocators have always avoided answering and rebutting the seven questions below from a Lynas scientist.
This critical information is being hidden from ‘aunties' and ‘uncles' who cannot read and understand English and the subject of radioactivity.
1. Radiation from the plant will be undetectable outside the boundaries of the plant.
2. None of the materials have to be signposted as ‘radioactive' for transport - as per international regulations, since 1996.
3. In accordance with international guidelines, the plant can be allowed to operate pretty much anywhere in the world with minimal regulation.
4. Vast majority of tailings will have only half of thorium that is in normal Malaysian soil.
5. Thorium in other waste is insoluble and cannot ‘poison' any plants, animals or the environment - even in theory.
6. Blending of tailings follows the basic safety principles of World Health Organisation, International Labour Organisation and seven more UN and other reputable international organization. Guidelines on this exist in many countries.
7. Maximum dose to workers is not expected to be more that ~ 25 percent of the limit, therefore - in accordance with international guidelines - personal monitoring is not even necessary; the doses are so low that they can be assessed for a work group, no need for individual assessments.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:Subscribe now
Keep Malaysiakini independent!
Malaysiakini will be 18 this year. That we’ve survived this long is because of you.
Your support matters. A lot. Especially those who pay RM150 annually, RM288 biennially or RM388 triennially to keep Malaysiakini independent from government influence and corporate interests. Advertising alone will not keep Malaysiakini afloat.
Together, we’ve gone far. We’ve covered three prime ministers, four general elections, five Bersih rallies, and countless scandals. But the journey continues.
Help us deliver news and views that matter to Malaysians. Help us make a difference for Malaysia.