A habeas corpus application seeking the release of yet another alleged militant who was arrested under the Internal Security Act last month was filed by his wife yesterday at the Shah Alam High Court.

Norlida Johuri, 41, claimed in an affidavit that her husband, Nasharuddin Nasir, is being detained unlawfully because he was denied legal access throughout his detention. He has not been able to meet with his lawyers, nor was he brought before a magistrate's court within 24 hours after arrest.

"The detainee and I were not informed of the reasons for his arrest," said Norlida in the 16-page document.

The habeas corpus application named the Malaysian government, Home Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, and Inspector-General of Police Norian Mai as the respondents.

Nasharuddin, 45, a fish seller, was among the 14 people arrested on April 17 and 18 for their alleged involvement in the Malaysian Mujahidin Group (KMM) which is part of a regional network said to be aiming for the overthrow of their respective governments through arms to set up Islamic state.

However, Norlida said her husband had never committed any act which was detrimental to national security.

Nasharuddin was arrested at 12.30am on April 17 in Hulu Langat, Selangor, when he had just finished discussion with his business partner and was heading towards his van, she said.

She added that her husband was escorted home by an estimated 15 police officers half an hour later.

"They ransacked our place but I did not know what they took from my house because no information was ever given," she said.

No reasons

The letter confirming the arrest under the ISA was given but was not signed by anyone, she revealed.

It was only after three days of calling the police that she managed to get in touch with a Special Branch officer to inquire about Nasharuddin's arrest.

"Again, no reason was given and the officer said the police were only doing their job based on an order from the Home Ministry," she said.

Norlida, a mother of three, said during a family visit on May 2, she could not talk about the arrest with Nasharuddin as they were constantly interrupted by two police officers present.

She said she was concerned about her husband's health and safety as many former detainees under the security law which permits indefinite detention without trial, had claimed that they were tortured during interrogation by police.

Woman detainee

Last week, a habeas corpus application was also filed by the mother of Sejahratul Dursina @ Chomel Muhamad who was rounded up with Nasharuddin in the latest ISA swoop.

Tuminah Kasmuri said her daughter Sejahratul was arrested because the government wanted to pressure her husband, Yazid Sufaat, an alleged al-Qaeda operative, into admitting the police allegations against him.

Yazid has been placed at the Kamunting Detention Centre in Perak to serve a two-year detention order since January.

The hearing for Sejahratul's case has been fixed for June 4.