The wife of a detained terror suspect allegedly linked to the al-Qaeda network said Saturday her two-month long arrest was purely to put pressure on her husband.

Sejahratul Dursina @ Chomel Mohamad, who was released Thursday on a restriction order, said she was subjected to daily interrogations throughout her arrest under the Internal Security Act (ISA).

Sejahratul, the wife of former army officer Yazid Sufaat, was picked up April 17 under the ISA, which allows for indefinite detention without trial.

"None of the questions they asked were connected to terrorist attacks, or Sept 11, or my husband's activities but they grilled me on everything else in my life.

"So I believe it was just to put pressure on my husband, it is a tactic to scare him," she told AFP.

"Or perhaps they want to know more about Yazid Sufaat's wife, so they will know more about him."

Sejahratul's release is conditional upon her movements being closely monitored for two years, or less if she decides to file an appeal.

Surprise checks

As well as restrictions on her place of residence, her travelling and an early curfew. Sejahratul said she was not allowed to "speak in public on certain matters" and was expected to be ready for surprise checks on her home.

"If I do not conform to the conditions of my release, I will be detained again," she said.

The order for her release, which was signed on Wednesday by Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who is also home minister, came ahead of a court verdict on Friday which dismissed Sejahratul's suit challenging the legality of her arrest under the ISA.

High Court Judge Zaleha Zahari said the arrest was lawful and in accordance with the provisions of the ISA, adding that although the law had been under intense criticism, it was the duty of higher court judges to apply it.

Sejahratul said her husband, who has been held under the same act since early December on suspicion of being a member of a local militant group, was "in high spirits", adding that he was not likely to appeal against his detention.

"There is no point in appealing. There is just no way to win a fight over the government," she said.

Yazid allegedly hosted and financed French national Zacarias Moussaoui - the so-called "20th hijacker" - who faces trial in the United States over the Sept 11 attacks on New York and Washington.

The biochemistry graduate of California State University also reportedly met in January 2000 with two of the 19 hijackers who carried out the attacks a year and half later.

Malaysia has in the past year used the ISA to detain 62 alleged members of a Muslim militant group accused of plotting to topple Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.