Top 10 news of 2012 - readers' choice
Malaysiakini has again let its readers to decide on what they think are the most important news of 2012.
A total of 822 readers participated in the five-day survey, which was opened only to paying subscribers of the news portal.
They voted by showing their preference for each of the 18 news items selected by Malaysiakini - ‘1' being the lowest and ‘10' the highest.
Surprisingly, the top two news for 2012 mirrored that of last year's - Bersih rally and the National Feedlot Corporation (NFC) scandal. Apparently, these two issues have enough steam to remain on the radar and they are not likely to go away anytime soon.
The controversy surrounding the Lynas rare-earth refining plant in Gebeng and the debate on its radioactive wastes make it to No 3. This is followed by two issues which are linked to the 2006 murder of Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaariibuu.
The rise of the green movement is ranked No 6, while the more recent issue involving the Automatic Enforcement System (AES) as well as the rise in crime rounded up the list.
Here they are - Malaysiakini readers' choice of the top 10 headline-grabbers.
1. Bersih 3.0 - the mother of all rallies in downtown Kuala Lumpur
2. National Feedlot Corporation scandal - cows, condos and a lot more
3. Lynas and its radioactive wastes - store here, send back to Australia, export to other countries, or recycle into harmless products?
4. Deepak Jaikishan and P Balasubramaniam - two statutory declarations, a dead Mongolian national and a powerful couple
5. Suaram and its Scorpene campaign - the hounding of the human rights NGO by six government agencies
6. Rise of the environmental movement - Himpunan Hijau, Pengerang, Bukit Koman and the Green March
7. Amangate and RM40 million ‘donation' - Was the money for Musa Aman or Sabah Umno?
8. PTPTN and Occupy Dataran - varsity students campaign for free tertiary education
9. Automatic Enforcement System - the privatisation of traffic summonses
10. Crime statistics - is the rising rate mere perception or is it real?
Those that failed to make the cut
Eight of the 18 news items are relegated by Malaysiakini subscribers to the also-ran category.
Interestingly, it included the court verdict where Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim was acquitted of sodomy, the second in 10 years.
They are as follows:
11. Sodomy II verdict - surprise judgment that exonerated Anwar Ibrahim
12. Violence at ceramahs - rocks, bottles and red paint fly during Pakatan ceramahs nationwide
13. Cops vs cops - war of words continues among former top cops
14. Talam, BN land grab and prawn farm - the Selangor government and opposition cross swords over a myriad of corruption allegations
15. Felda and FGV listings - the battle to win support in the rural heartland
16. Controversy over 55th Merdeka - the logo, the song, the butt-show and poster stomping on Merdeka eve at Dataran Merdeka
17. LGBT and V-neck t-shirts - attacks on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community that only made a laughing stock of the country
18. Reform of the ISA, UUCA, PPPA - PM Najib Abdul Razak's bid to make Malaysia the world's best democracy
Tomorrow, Malaysiakini will announce the Newsmaker of 2012.