KMM 6 sent to Kamunting for two years

comments     Susan Loone     Published     Updated

Six men detained under the Internal Security Act for their alleged involvement in the Malaysian Mujahidin Group (KMM) were sent to the Kamunting Detention Camp in Perak today

Families of the six said they were informed by Bukit Aman police officers late last night that the six would be sent to Kamunting this morning.

However, when contacted, officials from the Bukit Aman federal police headquarters said they had no information on the matter.

The six, businessmen Suhaimi Moktar, 36 and Ahmad Sajuli Abd Rahman @ Fadlul Ahmad, 39, bank officer Ahmad Yani Ismail, 33, accountant Abdul Samad Sukri Mohamad, 42, company manager Mohd Sha Sharijan, 48 and school headmaster Abdul Razak Baharudin, 42 were detained on Dec 29. It is believed that their ISA detention orders are for two years each.

It is learnt that the six, arrested in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor, were students of religious teacher Mohd Iqbal Abdul Rahman, himself detained in June last year under the ISA.

The six were among 13 KMM members arrested since last year under the security law for allegedly trying to overthrow the government through militant means. The 13 were arrested in swoops on three separate occasions.

Underground training

Inspector-General of Police Norian Mai early this month confirmed that the 13 had been held under Section 73 (1) of the Act.

According to police, the group had participated in several secret meetings to plan the overthrow of the government and establish an Islamic state.

They were also reported to be planning to set-up militant religious grouping linking other militant Muslim groups in Indonesia, Southern Philippines and Malaysia.

Police further claimed the 13 planned to purchase firearms besides sending their supporters for underground military training.

The remaining seven from the group are expected to be sent to Kamunting next week.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In