Cancelled musical: Another blow to local theatre
Local theatre has suffered another blow after a Broadway musical was cancelled at the eleventh hour because the permit was denied, reports said today.
The tuneful farce A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum was to have opened its three-week run yesterday with popular cook-show personality Chef Wan making his stage debut in the lead role, the Malay Mail said.
But it had to be cancelled after the Culture, Arts and Tourism Ministry informed the production company Gardner and Wife on Thursday that the permit for the play had been denied, the newspaper said.
This was because permits for four foreign artistes — two Englishmen, a Canadian woman and a Singaporean man — were not ready although the company had submitted all the documents a month ago.
"If the government is serious in making Kuala Lumpur an international city, they should support and not sabotage the theatre," producer Richard Gardner was quoted as saying. He questioned the government's alleged "double-standard" in granting permits to foreign and local plays.
US musical Fame has been given the green light for its foreign cast and will begin its run on May 9 at the National Theatre.
"A foreign production like Fame is given the red-carpet treatment whereas they close the door at our faces," he said.
Another blow
Gardner's wife Chae Lian added: "Local theatre is being dealt with another blow. "While the government openly courts wholly-imported shows and supports them with tax breaks, free rent and even presenting them at our National Theatre, local theatre companies continue to struggle to survive."
The RM200,000 production, which features 17 cast members and a nine-piece orchestra, was a joint effort between the National Arts Academy, Malaysian Tourism Centre and Gardner and Wife.
The fate of the Roman-inspired musical co-written by Stephen Sondheim remains uncertain, the daily added.
In February, the Kuala Lumpur City Hall banned a re-run of the controversial feminist play The Vagina Monologues following public complaints that it was vulgar.
The play, which has been performed around the world featuring major stars such as Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet and Susan Sarandon, was a sell-out when it made its debut here in January. (AFP)
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now