updated version MCA's year-long bickering ended today with the announcement by president Dr Ling Liong Sik that both the feuding factions have agreed to bury the hatchet and maintain the status quo for party posts at all levels until 2005.
The party's 40 central committee members agreed unanimously for the first time in almost 12 months that there will be no contest for all posts in the coming party elections in accordance with the peace agenda as proposed by Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
"All of us will work hard to appeal to our members to accept and support the peace agenda," said Ling at a press conference at the end of the party's two-hour CC meeting this afternoon.
He also thanked Mahathir for his "concern and interests" in resolving the MCA leadership crisis.
The agreement means that Ling, who has held the post for 16 years, and his rival, deputy leader Lim Ah Lek, will remain in their respective post for three more years.
Team B's favour
The announcement today is seen as favourable to Team B led by Lim. It is widely believed many key leaders of his faction would have lost their posts if the party elections were to proceed without the peace agenda which pressed for the status quo in leadership.
Team B leaders sat by Ling's side today, a rare sight until today, as the opposing members have not been seen together with their chief since the party was split into two camps over the takeover of two Chinese newspapers Nanyang Siang Pau and China Press last May.
The focus of attention was on Lim who admitted last week that his relationship with Ling was "damaged irreparably". The others included vice-presidents Chua Jui Meng and Chan Kong Choy, as well as Youth chief Ong Tee Keat.
Lim shook hands with Ling for the camera after the press conference.
Ling however told reporters that the party elections, starting from divisional levels, will go on because they were "duty-bound" to do so according to the party constitution.
No permanent enemies, friends
When asked if it was possible for both factions to truly close ranks and work together again, he replied, "There are no permanent enemies or permanent friends in politics."
He added that the so-called "Team A and Team B" factions were just "creation of the press".
The status quo also applies to Youth and Wanita sections, meaning that controversial Youth chief Ong will remain in his post.
To another question on whether the status quo will be applied to ministerial posts as well, Ling who is also the transport minister said, "We'll cross the bridges when we come to that."
MCA, the second largest ruling party with more a million members, currently holds four cabinet posts.
Apart from Ling, his two loyalist vice-presidents, Ong Ka Ting and Dr Fong Chan Onn, are the housing and local government minister and human resource minister respectively; while Chua, aligned to the opposing camp, is the health minister.
Members from Team B have been vying for a cabinet post.
Respite on phantom issue
Deputy president Lim dodged questions on the phantom member issue in the party which he had been highlighting in the run-up to today's event.
"We'll look into that," he said when asked. "We want unity and stability. The peace plan is what's on our minds now."
Team B have been claiming in recent months that the list of some 140,000 new members recruited late last year was tainted with dubious members. It demanded for a verification of the list by an independent committee.
However, a copy of the peace deal obtained by malaysiakini today specified that the issue "would not be pursued at this time".
The MCA divisional elections are rescheduled to next month. The polls for Wanita and Youth sections of all 166 divisions will be held on May 14 and voting for the divisional leaders the following day. Nomination day is May 10.
The state-level elections will be held at end of next month, while the annual general assembly when central leaders are chosen is on June 29.
