Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Blackout of flak points the way to Suhakam chiefs first task: DAP

An opposition leader is alleging that the government-controlled press has been ignoring criticism against the appointment of the new chief of the Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) for the past two days.

DAP national chairperson Lim Kit Siang said in the light of the blackout on the matter, Abu Talib Othmans first challenge as Suhakam chief should be to conduct full public inquiry into increasingly grave violations of rights to freedom of speech, expression and press.

Recent examples of the parlous state of press freedom included the lack of, and distorted, coverage on the hunger strike campaign by six Internal Security Act detainees and their supporters, and the four-day clam-up order to the press issued by the Prime Ministers Deparment with regard to MCAs internal power struggle.

Yesterday, Lim faxed a statement to all newspapers, questioning whether Talibs entry into Suhakam, which takes effect today, was a sign that the commission will be reduced to a pale shadow of its present role.

He said Talibs appointment has aroused reservations about the credibility and independence of Suhakam as his 13-year tenure as attorney-general had been marked by several controversies which raised disturbing questions about his credibility, independence and integrity.

Lim noted that the former AG, who retired in 1994, not only failed to initiate any prosecution into the RM2.5 billion Bumiputra Malaysia Finance scandal, but also destroyed the evidence implicating former deputy speaker of Dewan Rakyat DP Vijandran in a pornographic videotape scandal.

He also played a major role in ousting former Lord President Tun Salleh Abas, who had been accused of being biased against the government, from office in 1988.

It is only right and proper that Talib should be fully aware of these grave reservations....It is only right and proper that he should be given the time and opportunity to prove these reservations wrong by being a good Suhakam chief, said Lim.

He also called on Talib, who is on the board of half a dozen companies, to lead by example by declaring his corporate dealings to ensure that there could be no conflict of interests in the discharge of his duty as the chief of the rights commission.

Five tasks

DAP Youth national secretary Hew Kuan Yau also echoed Lims concern and said Talib must demonstrate to Malaysians and the world that he has the capability and credibility to carry out his role effectively as Suhakam chief.

The youth wing outlined five immediate tasks for Talib:

  1. Remind the government and police to act on the recommendations in Suhakams inquiry report on the Kesas Highway gathering debacle.

  • Inquire into the Petaling Jaya Selatan racial clashes in March 2001.
  • Inquire into the conditions of the six reformasi activists detained under the Internal Security Act (ISA), as promised by Suhakam last week.
  • Initiate a study on local prisons conditions to ensure international standards are adhered to.
  • Make public his and Suhakams position on the ISA and other oppressive laws.
  • Talib will be succeeding Musa Hitam whose two-year term expires tomorrow. Musa, a former deputy prime minister, declined to serve for another term.

    The new line-up of commissioners include retired Treasury deputy secretary-general Ramon Navaratnam, permanent representative to the United Nations Hasmy Agam, Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia (Ikim) director-general Dr Abdul Monir Yaacob, retired Education director-general Asiah Abu Samah and retired National Population and Family Development Board director-general Dr Raj Abdul Karim.

    Not extended are the terms of commissioners Anuar Zainal Abidin  a former Chief Judge of Malaya  and Prof Mehrun Siraj, who had been hailed for their report and inquiry into police brutality at the Nov 5 2000 peoples gathering.

    The other outgoing commissioners are Malaysian Nature Society president Dr Salleh Mohd Noor and former judge Mahadev Shankar. The latter declined to serve another term for health reasons.


    Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

    ADS