The 50 non-governmental organisations that endorsed this years May Day declaration today denied that those involved in a march yesterday had attacked the police when they were ordered to disperse.
Seventeen people, including two women were arrested for being involved in the march from Jalan Chow Kit to the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC).
Police said the march was an illegal assembly and also claimed that one policeman was attacked by the demonstrators.
However, the demonstrators accused the police of behaving aggressively and manhandling them instead.
May Day declaration committee secretariat K Simon said the police had manipulated the situation by giving the impression that the demonstrators had been aggressive hence warranting stern action.
We hope that the media will publish the true situation and support the struggle of workers who are oppressed and left behind in Malaysia, he said in a statement.
Those detained were released on police bail this morning and were told to report back at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters on May 16 to find out if they would face any legal action.
Among those held were Parti Sosialis Malaysia pro tem president Dr Nasir Mohd Hashim, vice-president Dr D Jeyakumar, human rights organisation Suaram coordinator S Arutchelvan, Community Development Centre members V Selvam and Seevan Doraisamy.
The two women arrested were social activist Lee Siew Hwa and PSM member R Manorani.
Acid test
In a related development, DAP national chairperson Lim Kit Siang criticised the polices action and described yesterdays incident as a blot on Malaysias human rights record.
The veteran politician cited a report by the Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) last year which called on the police to build a rapport with the organisers of an assembly.
If this advice had been taken, the police arrests and assaults would not have taken place, he said in a press statement.
Lim also added that the police high-handedness yesterday should be the acid test for the new Suhakam line-up.
