Parti Rakyat Insan Malaysia (Prim) has taken the plight of the Petaling Jaya Selatan racial clashes to the US president as it is frustrated by the silence of Malaysian authorities which have ignored all its 42 letters.
In a letter faxed to President George W Bush today, Prim pro-tem secretary-general P Uthayakumar said despite scores of appeals and representations made to the Malaysian government, the authorities have failed to act on the clashes which Prim says are similar to acts of terrorism.
Uthayakumar claimed that the authorities' attitude towards the tragedy was "completely careless" and there was no assurance that it would not be repeated nor has the victims been properly compensated.
"As we have exhausted all diplomatic avenues locally, we are left with no alternative but to raise the matter with the international community," said Uthayakumar who urged Bush to raise the matter with Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad when he visits the USA on May 13-15.
"Please seek his assurances that justice and human rights of the minority Indian Malaysians in particular would be protected and respected and given due regard to co-exist," Uthayakumar said in his faxed statement to the US president.
The racial clashes between Malay Malaysians and Indian Malaysians which occurred between March 8 and 15 last year resulted in six deaths and scores of people injured.
Although various political leaders and non-government organisations have visited the area and victims in hospitals, those injured claimed that they have not been adequately compensated despite being promised cash and housing facilities by the government.
Lack of concern
Meanwhile, Uthayakumar slammed politicians and non-governmental organisations for their lack of concern for the victims of the clashes.
"They are all the same, whether they come from Barisan Nasional, Barisan Alternatif or NGOs. After a token visit to the hospital to see the victims, no one has bothered [to take any further action]," he told malaysiakini .
Uthayakumar lamented that up till today there has been no royal commission of inquiry or white paper presented, nor had the Human Rights Commission or Suhakam investigated into the matter.
He said despite lodging a police report against Inspector-General of Police Norian Mai for neglect of duties in April last year, the police has not taken any statement from him.
