MCA bans nominations, ballots to uphold no-contest rule
MCA announced today that any nomination of challengers in the ongoing party election will be struck out and that the divisional polls over the next two days will be held without ballot papers to uphold the no-contest rule.
Party secretary-general Dr Ting Chew Peh said no nomination would be accepted because it contradicts the central executive committee's ' status quo ' rule which applies to party posts at all levels.
"The formula of 'no contest' must be strictly adhered to. (Any) nomination paper to challenge any incumbent would be rejected.
"There is no need to prepare ballot papers because there's no contest," he told a press conference at the party headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, adding that the party elections steering committee had directed that speakers at the divisional elections announce only the names that appear in the mutually agreed single list as successful elected candidates.
Ting also said that the decision would also apply to the state election at end of this month and the annual general assembly on June 29.
He had earlier chaired a three-hour meeting of the election steering committee which he heads. MCA state chairpersons were also present to update the committee about the divisions in their respective states.
When asked if the announcement was in accordance with the party constitution, Ting said, "This is a political decision. It is an extraordinary situation that needs an extraordinary solution."
Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad put forward last month a 'peace agenda' to resolve the party's year-long conflict between the two feuding factions — Team A led by party president Dr Ling Liong Sik and Team B headed by deputy president Lim Ah Lek.
The top leaders subsequently agreed to the agenda and tried to steer their supporters away from the warpath at the then looming party elections.
Divisional elections tomorrow
Their attempts did not stop some 40 of the 166 MCA divisions from trying to contest various posts when nomination began last Friday. The divisional elections start tomorrow with Wanita and Youth sections, followed by the main body itself the next day.
Asked if the decision today had weakened MCA's credibility in the eyes of the non-members, Ting replied, "The non-MCA segment of the Chinese community are also for the party unity. I'm sure they would like to see a united MCA."
As the nominations from challengers have been struck out, 161 divisions with their incumbent leaders will be able to proceed with their 'polls' with no ballot papers tomorrow, he said.
Five divisions — Pokok Sena and Sg Patani in Kedah, Rasah in Negeri Sembilan, Gombak in Selangor, and Bukit Mertajam in Penang — still face 'vacancy' problems as many of their incumbent key leaders have chosen not to serve for another term.
Their election date has been postponed for almost a week from now pending mediation from the steering committee and another nine-member special committee led by party chief Ling, Ting added.
Half filled
Ting said almost half of all the new delegates' posts have been filled up through negotiations thus far.
The remaining vacancies which could not be filled up through negotiation and consensus would be left vacant until further notice, he added.
MCA has a ratio of 2,384 delegates to 850,000 members based on a 1999 figure. However, due to a drastic increase of members within four months late last year, the party now claims more than a million members which will produce a new tally of 2,667 delegates at the divisional election.
The delegates will vote in their central leaders including the president, deputy president, and four vice-presidents for a three-year term at the June 29 annual general assembly.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now