Fugitive businessman Soh returns to face charges
updated version
Fugitive businessman Soh Chee Wen today surrendered to the authorities after going into hiding since 1999 and was immediately taken before the court to face two charges in connection to commercial crimes.This morning, the 42-year-old businessman was picked up by police and officials from the Securities Commission as soon as he arrived at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport from Jakarta.
He was brought to the Shah Alam Sessions Court where his lawyer applied for bail against the charges against him. Soh, who claimed trial, was allowed to post a bail of RM2 million on condition that he must submit his passport and other travelling documents to the court. The hearing will start on Nov 18.
"I have always said that I will be back to face the charges... I have faith in the judiciary," he told reporters after the proceeding.
However, the timing of his return had raised the eyebrows of many as Soh is more than just an ordinary businessman — he was previously a rising star in MCA holding the posts of a central committee member and a division chief under the patronage of party president Dr Ling Liong Sik.
The relationship of the duo was damaged when Soh sued Ling as well as the latter's son and daughter-in-law for owing him RM149 million from a sale of shares. The case was struck out by the Kuala Lumpur High Court last year.
In February, Ling reportedly said that he would not be surprised if there were law suits filed against him by his opponents in the run-up to the party election scheduled for June 29.
'Fish head'
Surrounded by a swarm of reporters outside the court, Soh said he has "a lot of unfinished jobs to do", adding that he wished to rebuild his local businesses which were destroyed while he was gone.
However, he stressed that his main priority was not to attempt a political comeback as speculated by various quarters.
"Let's leave the political question out for the moment," he said.
He said it was good to be home as throughout his three years of absence he had developed a craving for local cuisine, particularly fish head curry.
When asked if 'fish head' was a pun at Ling who had popularised the term to describe the MCA leadership, he quickly denied it, saying, "No, no, I really miss fish head curry."
To another question on his whereabouts over the past few years, Soh replied, "I've been travelling in different countries... I will let you know when the time is right for me to call for a press conference."
About 30 supporters of Soh, mainly MCA members, showed up conspicuously at the court today and stayed on through the one-hour proceeding. They chanted slogans in support of Soh when he came out and many presented bouquets of flowers to him.
Interpol 'wanted' list
Soh, has been charged by the Securities Commission (SC) in 1999 with two offences to defraud the now defunct stockbroking firm Omega Securities Sdn Bhd of over RM400 million. In April that year, he fled the country and went into hiding.
Subsequently, the SC issued a warrant of arrest against him on April 19, 2000 and sought help from the Interpol through the Home Ministry. Interpol later put Soh on their list of wanted persons.
However, Soh's lawyer Ng Aik Guan told the Shah Alam Sessions Court today that his client was just a "victim of adverse prejudicial publicity".
"He is determined to vindicate his [claim of] innocence. [The claim that] he has tried to stay out of jurisdiction has never been established," said Ng, in response to the prosecutor's argument that the defendant should not be allowed on bail due to his previous record of hiding overseas.
The lawyer went on to say that a denial of bail to his client will produce the "inevitable consequence of advance punishment".
Deputy public prosecutor Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil had earlier said that the warrant of arrest was good enough to indicate that Soh may have the tendency to evade his trial.
Assisting Abdul Karim were Sallehuddin Saidin and two prosecuting officers from the SC, Rosmawar Rozain and Foo Lee Mei.
Judge Suraya Othman later decided that the bail will be granted at RM1 million for each of the two charges faced by Soh.
On Saturday, another businessman close to Soh, TA Securities Bhd executive chairperson Tony Tiah Thee Kian, pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of allowing a false report to be furnished by his company to the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE).
With his admission, the prosecution dropped its principal charge in 1999 that accused Tiah of abetting Soh in using a scheme to defraud Omega Securites.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now