Businessman Soh Chee Wen today dismissed the claim by his former guru, MCA president Dr Ling Long Sik, that they were not related in any business dealings as "utter nonsense" and "total rubbish".
"He knows we had a business relationship," said the 42-year-old entrepreneur who had just returned to the country on Tuesday after being overseas for three years.
He said though he did not want to hurt both Ling and his son Hee Liong, "the public deserves to know the truth".
When asked for details, he replied, "I have no intention to go into this topic today. Maybe I have said too much."
Soh said he would have continued to refrain from speaking anything against Ling's family had they not thrown "a lot of stones at me at private meetings as well as to the media" and issued "provocative statements that forced me to defend myself".
"The son virtually called me a liar in a Chinese magazine and (other) newspapers. He said it was the biggest mistake in his life to have ignored his father's advice not to form a business partnership with me," he told a press conference after attending a Chinese primary school in Selangor.
"If I don't say something to correct things fast, then the court of public opinion will assume that I have something to hide or I am guilty," he added.
On Wednesday, while dispelling speculation that Soh's return may effect some changes in the party leadership, Ling had told reporters, "I frankly don't think so. I have nothing to do with him in business dealings, and he has nothing to do with me in his business dealings, too."
Former rising star
Soh is a former rising star in MCA, holding the posts of central committee member and division chief under the patronage of Ling.
The relationship of the duo was damaged when Soh sued Ling as well as the latter's son and daughter-in-law for owing him RM149 million from the sale of shares in Linksun Avenue Sdn Bhd, a company run by Hee Liong The case was struck out by the Kuala Lumpur High Court last year.
Soh told reporters today that he was prepared to clear his name and not to seek revenge on anyone.
"In the process of clearing my name, naturally I would have to prepare my reasons, facts and materials," he said.
However, when asked if he had any evidence to substantiate his claim about his business relationship with Ling, Soh replied, "We will cross the bridge when we come to that."
He also refuted speculation that his return was backed by quarters within MCA.
"This is a 'romantic' version [of the story]. There is no truth or whatsoever in that. I am back to rebuild a life and a career."
To a question on what he would say to Ling if the duo had the opportunity to meet up, he said he would "shake his [Ling's] hand and wish him all the best".
Soh also said he had been keeping in touch with Malaysian politics during his absence.
Keen about Chinese politics
When asked for comments on the MCA leadership crisis, he stressed that he was just an ordinary member who is keen about Chinese politics and business, before saying, "One would have wished that certain parties take into consideration the interests of the Chinese community more.
"There were things that many key players could have done if they had taken human decency and honour more to heart."
He added that he was confident that the party problems had been solved by Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who had put forward a peace plan to the two feuding factions within MCA — Team A led by Ling and Team B by deputy president Lim Ah Lek.
"I'm sure that the situation had been rectified. Things should be improving from now on," he said.
He reiterated that a political comeback is far from his mind and that he was not bitter about his experience over the past few years.
Support for Team B
After the press conference, Soh, when pressed to reveal which faction was he aligned to, said, "I will go with the side that cares for people's aspirations and interests...if you (reporters) want a straight answer, I support Team B."
But he added quickly, "My heart is with Team B but I am not working with them. I just wish them all the best, as I will with many of my friends in Team A."
Soh has been charged by the Securities Commission (SC) in 1999 with two offences to defraud the now defunct stockbroking firm Omega Securities Sdn Bhd of more RM500 million. In April that year, he fled the country and went into hiding.
Subsequently, the SC issued a warrant of arrest against him on April 15, 2000 and sought help from the Interpol through the Home Ministry. Interpol later put Soh on their list of wanted persons.
On Tuesday, Soh claimed trial to his charges at the Shah Alam Sessions Court and is now out on a RM2 million bail. It is believed that many of his creditors will issue him bankruptcy notices soon.
Earlier this morning, he donated RM10,000 to SJK(C) Sin Min in Puchong where he is the school building fund committee chairperson.
