PNG premier condemns logging project, court hearing today

comments     Leong Kar Yen     Published     Updated

Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Mekere Morauta has condemned the controversial logging project jointly operated by Malaysian timber company Concord Pacific and a PNG landowner company.

A full court hearing to determine the legality of the project is scheduled today, an Environment News Service (ENS) article on Wednesday quoting the premier in an official statement.

"The Kiunga-Aiambak project, involving Concord Pacific Ltd and a landowner company, should never have occurred," Morauta was quoted as saying.

The article said Morauta had also instructed PNG's attorney-general to investigate allegations of human rights abuse against the resource owners.

"This logging project will be one of the first operations to be examined under the forthcoming independent review of projects, and further extensions to this project will neither be permitted, nor valid, " Morauta was quoted as saying.

A malaysiakini report last week on environmental group Greenpeace's allegations that the Kiunga-Aiambiak road project spearheaded by the Malaysian company and some high-ranking PNG officials was not "lawful".

The Greenpeace report "Partners in Crime: Malaysian loggers, timber markets and the politics of self-interest in Papua New Guinea" alleged that the project was a sham as no functional road had been constructed after seven years of deforestation and massive environmental devastation.

Greenpeace activists

Greenpeace activists occupied a cargo ship to stop the export of what they called "illegally and destructively logged timber" on Sunday. Three activists strapped themselves onto the cranes for nearly two days.

They ended their 'occupation' on Wednesday when Morauta condemned the logging project. Ship officials have also agreed to stop their activities pending the court hearing today.

Attempts by malaysiakini to contact Concord Pacific's general manager, Philip Lee, a Malaysian, have been futile. On Monday, an unnamed company official condemned Greenpeace and called them outsiders.

"Who says we are illegal? We have licence and permit from the government to carry out these activities. Who is Greenpeace? They are the outsiders," he said.

Concord Pacific is controlled by Sarawak timber tycoon Hiew Teck Seng of Samling Strategic Corporation, which has a listed company, Lingui Developments Bhd, through a reverse takeover.

When contacted, Lingui Development said it had no knowledge of Concord Pacific.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In