Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this

The controversial alignment of the proposed Penang Outer Ring Road (PORR) project, revealed by the Malaysian Highway Authority on Saturday, has raised more public distress than quelling fears of impending eviction.

At 17km long, the RM1.02bil road project, which includes the land acquisition of private homes, temples, holy shrines and graves, has caused much anxiety among Penangites who are unhappy that they were not consulted before the plan was drawn.

Despite several unhelpful hints over the last few years, the actual plan was only unveiled on Saturday at the Caring Society Complex in Penang.

Displayed in 17 exhibits, depicting among other issues, the summary of land acquisition, the plan revealed that 76 houses, five shophouses, three temples, five shrines, two horse stables, over 30 squatter houses and more than 50 graves would be affected by the PORR project.

The 76 affected houses comprised 11 in the Jalan Pemancar area in Glugor, 14 in Changkat Delima, two in Island Glades, 23 along Jalan Chor Sin Keng, 18 in Reservoir Crescent and seven in the Air Itam area, two in Batu Gantong and one in Taman Jesselton.

The Chinese temples affected are two in Island Glades and one in Kampung Pisang. Three Chinese shrines in Reservoir Cresent, Batu Gantung and Youth Park, including two Indian shrines in Youth Park and Jalan Utama would have to be scrapped for the PORR project.

Yong Yu Ni, who is special assistant to Penang State Councillor for Public Works, Utilities and Transport Committee Koay Kar Huah, said the project was being undertaken by the federal government.

He said Koay would make his comments after the public view the plan and give their feedback.

Lack of details

The PORR issue has been the subject of hot debate in Penang in recent months and has created much anxiety, especially due to the lack of details on its alignment and toll charges.

Residents are in the dark about toll charges and information on social and environmental impact of the highway that is set to change the face of the island, cutting through residential neighbourhoods and running over steep hills and reclaimed land.

Already, two signature campaigns have been launched, one organised by the Consumers Association of Penang and the other, by the state DAP.

CAP is currently coordinating the Citizen Affected by PORR and has a representative in each of the five affected areas: Changkat Delima 2, Reservoir Gardens and Jalan Ria, Jalan Chor Sin Kheng and Jalan Air Itam, Taman Jesselton, and Jalan Pemancar in Gelugor.

In a press statement issued on Friday, MHA deputy director-general (technical) Ghazali Md Nor said when completed, the PORR will benefit hundreds of thousands of people living on Penang Island, directly and indirectly, as a bypass road for smoother road travel and as part of the overall solution for traffic congestion on the island.

Ghazali said since 1997, MHA had been liaising with parties who wish to know if their property was affected by the PORR.

He assured Penangites that with input from the state government, MHA has managed to minimise the physical impact of the alignment.

Lower noise level

According to the exhibits, MHA will "mitigate" the social and enviromental problems by planting trees and constructing walls to lower the noise level.

Residents who are affected claimed that the highway alignment, beginning at the Tanjong Tokong interchange and ending at the Tengku Kudin interchange in the south was not a "ring" as the name suggested, as it would not take traffic off but merely move the congestion by loading vehicles into the different interchange points.

Many residents, unsatisfied with the explanation on the exhibits, have slotted their feedback forms into the "Feedback Box" at the exhibition.

An Island Glades resident Chong Swan See, 68, said the households affected in Changkat Delima 2 are those who have spend a "considerable amount of money renovating their homes over the years".

"They are bound to be upset with the plan. Can the government compensate them enough to find new and decent homes? They have built a life here and it is not easy to relocate" said Chong, a former nurse.

A resident of Jalan Pemancar, Rashid Long, said the project was "like all government projects — cost mega-bucks but merely benefit the rich".

"What we need in Penang are proper road systems, wider roads and improved public transport, not another billion ringgit project that affects the lives of residents," said Rashid, a 76-year-old pensioner.

A lawyer, who requested anonymity, and who is a resident of Gelugor, was unfazed by all the brouhaha.

"Those affected are going to get their compensation, what are they so worried about? Some may even welcome it because their houses are really run-down and the money will help them find better homes," he said.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS