Allow diploma holders entry to university, Hon told
Deputy Education Minister Hon Choon Kim must allow diploma holders with the requisite qualifications to enter public universities, an opposition party leader urged.
"I call on Hon to announce by Tuesday [tomorrow] that the legal right of all diploma holders with the requisite CGPA (cumulative grade point average) to enter public universities would be respected and that a new list of university admissions would be issued by the ministry," said DAP chairperson Lim Kit Siang said on Saturday.
Following the increased number of applicants with STPM and matriculation qualifications, university places for diploma holders have been reduced, booting out an estimated 10,000 of them who reportedly have the requisite CGPA.
Earlier this month, Education Minister Musa Mohamad advised diploma holders whose applications have been rejected to look for employment.
However, Lim said diploma holders from public institutions of higher learning have always been officially recognised as one of the legitimate university entrance qualifications.
Last year, for example, 4,800 diploma holders were admitted into local universities, he said.
Improper and illegal
He added that the misinterpretation by the Education Ministry of its own regulations, has resulted in the door to public universities being slammed unfairly and unlawfully in the face of qualified diploma holders.
And all this is "because of a sudden, improper and illegal change of policy not to consider diplomas for the merit-based university selection system," Lim added.
"Hon has now the opportunity to put right this grave injustice as the Education Ministry has been fully empowered to resolve the university intake controversy," Lim said.
The veteran politician was referring to Works Minister S Samy Vellu's reported statement last week that the cabinet had empowered the ministry solve the controversy over the merit-based university entrance system.
According to Lim, Hon as the deputy minister should shoulder the responsibility to resolve the issue as Musa is currently abroad.
"If Hon cannot make use of this window of opportunity to ensure that qualified diploma holders, including those with the full CGPA of 4.0 are offered public university places, then he should resign as deputy education minister," he said.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now