Govt urged to answer charge of concocting evidence of terrorism
Keadilan Youth today urged the government to respond to allegations that the state had "manufactured evidence" of terrorism to thwart domestic political parties, as reported in a United States newspaper.
"[We] call for the defence minister and home affairs minister to state the true position of Malaysia in relation to the report which questions the integrity of the national intelligence institution," said Keadilan deputy youth chief Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.
In a Los Angeles Times commentary published on Sunday entitled "War on terrorism; the view from Down Under", several Australian officials were quoted as saying that Indonesia and Malaysia are using the United States' war on terrorism as a screen for domestic political crackdowns while doing little to combat global terrorism.
The article also quoted a former Australian intelligence analyst as saying that some evidence from Malaysian and Indonesian security agencies "gives every appearance of being manufactured for domestic political and diplomatic purposes".
Saifuddin said an independent committee should be set up to investigate the "serious allegations" in the article as it involves issues of national integrity and the reputation of the country.
"If the report is true, it is unfortunate for Malaysians who have been continuously intimidated with issues of terrorism when in actual fact they [were being] hoodwinked by the ruling party," he added.
Doubts over support
Meanwhile, in the same commentary, several senior Australian military leaders are also said to be resentful of Washington's indifference to their insights into Southeast Asia.
The military leaders also take exception to what they see as an "imperious US attitude" which has strained relations between the Australian military and Prime Minister John Howard who is seen to be too accommodating to the Americans.
When contacted today, representatives of the Australian and US embassies declined to comment on the report.
The expressed opinions of the military leaders appear to cast doubts over the extent of popular Australian support of the campaign against terrorism by America and its allies which include Malaysia.
However, during a visit to Kuala Lumpur last week, Australian Defence Minister Senator Robert Hill said he approved of the Malaysian government's use of the Internal Security Act which allows for indefinite detention without trial, if the law is not used to curb civil liberties.
Hill reportedly said that "extraordinary responses" were needed to deal with "those not prepared to accept the norms of reasonable behaviour".
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now