Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
ISA 6 unhappy with limited scope of Suhakam public inquiry

Six detainees under the Internal Security Act today expressed their disappointment with the Malaysian Human Rights Commission for restricting the scope of its three-day public inquiry, beginning tomorrow, to the security law.

The six "express their deep concern and disappointment with Suhakam for its intention to hold an inquiry restricted solely into their (detainees') conditions at the Kamunting Detention Centre in Perak", a letter by their lawyers stated.

"They believe such a restricted inquiry will not do justice with regard to human rights violations that they have suffered and therefore cannot be regarded as a bona fide (good faith) investigation," continued the letter.

Keadilan vice-president Tian Chua, party Youth leader Mohamad Ezam Mohd Nor, party leaders Saari Sungib, Dr Badrulamin Bahron, Lokman Nor Adam and malaysiakini columnist-cum-filmmaker Hishamuddin Rais were arrested in April last year and have been detained for more than a year now in Kamunting.

They were accused by the authorities of being involved in a militant attempt to overthrow the government. They have, however, denied the charges.

Lawyers for the six, R Sivarasa and Latheefa Koya, said the detainees were made to understand that the public inquiry, the first ever pertaining to the ISA, would not include the first 60 days of arrest.

"The six have further averred that it is unreal, artificial and in fact an injustice for Suhakam not to investigate the first 60 days of incarceration," the lawyers' letter added.

ISA detainees first go through 60 days of police custody without trial, often in incommunicado at an undisclosed location, after which their detention can be extended for two years by the home minister through a detention order which is renewable indefinitely.

However, when contacted, commissioner Prof Hamdan Adnan denied that Suhakam had never said that the inquiry would be limited to the detention period in Kamunting.

"We are looking at possible human rights violations in detention. We will go according with to the inquiry and if they (detainees) wish to speak on the initial 60-day detention, we will let them do so," Hamdan said.

He added that the inquiry would not be looking into the repeal or review of the act.

"We must be very focused. The matter of the review of the ISA would be looked into by our sub-committee and that is another matter altogether," Hamdan said.

Thirty witnesses

Initially announced to be held at the Sessions Court in Taiping, the inquiry venue has, however, been changed twice, from the Kuala Kangar Sessions Court to the Taiping Prisoner's Club. Suhakam said in a statement that the changes in venue were beyond their control.

The 13-member Suhakam, helmed by its new chairperson and former attorney-general Abu Talib Othman, announced last Thursday that it would be conducting an inquiry into the ISA arrests, chaired by deputy chairperson Harun Hashim with commissioners Hamdan and Asiah Abu Samah.

Hamdan, who chairs the complaints and inquiry working group in Suhakam, had said that some 30 witnesses comprising of detainees as well as medical staff and authorities at the detention centre will be called up for the inquiry.

A cross-section of detainees from the Shia faith, the al-Ma'unah martial arts cult members and the six reformasi activists will be giving their statements.

The inquiry was set up following complaints lodged by family members of ISA detainees over alleged human rights violations in the detention camp, and pressure from public campaigns organised by human rights activists.

According to a Suhakam visitorial report on Kamunting published last October, the total number of detainees under the ISA totalled 69, but a Berita Harian report today said as of the end of 2001, the number has risen to 73.

The number is expected to rise as 11 alleged members of the Malaysian Mujahidin Group (KMM) were sent to Kamunting last Thursday. Among them was son of Kelantan Mentri Besar Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat, Nik Adli.

The arrest of alleged KMM members so far totals 62, though police have said more are forthcoming.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS