Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Burmese asylum seekers told to leave UNHCR compound quietly

Burmese asylum seekers camping out at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) compound have been told to leave "quietly" so as to enable the resumption of the agency's work in assessing asylum claims.

UNHCR protection officer Shinji Kubo said the Burmese have been asked to leave "as soon as possible"since time was running out for other asylum seekers affected by the stand-off between the agency and 18 Burmese Rohingyas seeking recognition as political refugees.

However, asked if the asylum applications of the Burmese had been rejected, Kubo said, "I am not in the position to tell the status of the people since this is relevant to their security status."

Last week, 18 Burmese Rohingyas entered the UNHCR compound in two separate incidents and have refused to leave unless they are given letters recognising them as refugees.

The Rohingyas, who originate from the Burmese northwestern state of Arakan, claimed they are victims of ethnic and religious persecution by the Rangoon military junta. They also said they have been denied citizenship by the Burmese government.

No protection

Meanwhile, Din Mohamad, one of the asylum seekers, told malaysiakini the Burmese were informed of the development by UNHCR head of liaison office Lowell Martin and Kubo this morning.

"They said they cannot give us any protection. But we don't want to leave. How can we leave now when Malaysian authorities know who we are? If we leave, we will be arrested," he lamented when contacted today.

Asked about the Rohingyas' concern, Kubo said the UNHCR has offered the asylum seekers the "option" to leave the compound without being arrested on their departure.

"We have offered them the option but they have refused it. They are determined not to leave but we do not want to make it a rule that [these incidents] would affect [UNHCR's work]," he said, adding that the UNHCR had made such agreements in the past with the police when dealing with similar situations.

Possible eviction

Kubo did not discount the possibility that the police may be requested to evict the Burmese, saying, "it could happen once we feel that we have exhausted all our means to resolve the situation".

In a similar incident last January, 28 Burmese Rohingyas entered the UNHCR compound but upon failing in their asylum applications, were arrested by Malaysian police and deported to Thailand.

Last Friday, the Burmese government said the 18 Rohingyas are illegal workers "pretending" to be asylum seekers because they face difficulty finding employment in Malaysia.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS