The Election Commission (EC) said yesterday the two-week postponement of its online voter registration launch was not due to any technical glitches.
The launch was deferred so as not to sidetrack its officials in Kedah where two by-elections — state and parliamentary seats previously held by the late Opposition Leader Fadzil Mohd Noor — will be held on July 18.
Initially scheduled for July 1, the system will now launch on July 16.
EC secretary Wan Ahmad Wan Omar, when contacted today, said the delay was necessary as its Kedah office was gearing up for the upcoming by-elections in Anak Bukit and Pendang in the next two weeks.
"Last week, there was a small technical problem but that was not the reason for the postponement. The fact is that the launch will be done simultaneously, which means it will involve more than 600 post offices and EC offices in each state.
"I don't want our officers in Kedah, who are busy preparing for the double nominations, get distracted by the launch. Furthermore, we don't want to rush the job," he said.
Year-round registration
The new system allows voters to register throughout the year in post offices nationwide and at state EC branch offices as well as its mobile units.
Pos Malaysia Bhd corporate communications deputy general manager Mohd Saaid Abdul Manap said its offices were prepared for the launch.
"A total of 639 post offices in Peninsular Malaysia will be computerised for the purposes of the new system."
Sepakat Computer Consultant Sdn Bhd is the company providing the technical expertise in the online registration exercise.
Last week, Deputy Energy, Communications and Multimedia Minister Tan Chai Ho, responding to related questions from reporters, conceded that there were some software glitches to be ironed out before the launch.
