Clampdown on foreign workers: govt urged to stop repressive measures

comments     Yap Mun Ching     Published     Updated

In the face of impending harsh new immigration laws targetting undocumented immigrants, Indonesian labour activists are urging the Malaysian government to adopt a "realistic" approach in reducing the number of foreign workers in the country.

The Consortium for Indonesia Migrant Workers' Defence, or Kopbumi, said the government should consider extending the amnesty period which is due to expire on July 31, or open up channels for workers to legalise their presence in the country.

"We suggest that the Malaysian government stops its repressive measures. Many workers are undocumented although it is not all their fault. Some want to leave on the amnesty process but they cannot pay the cost to return (to their home country)," said Wahyu Susilo, Kopbumi's executive secretary when contacted.

Under new provisions in the Immigration Act, illegal immigrants when arrested risk a maximum fine of RM10,000 or a jail term not exceeding five years or both and mandatory whipping up to six strokes.

Employers of undocumented workers are also liable to fines between RM10,000 and RM50,000 per employee and a jail term of up to one year, while employers who hire more than five illegal immigrants would be liable for mandatory whipping and jail terms not exceeding five years.

One-way ticket

Meanwhile, an official from the Indonesian Embassy said large numbers are still applying for their travel permits to return to their country.

"The documents issued are not international passports. The permits are for one-way journeys back to Indonesia," said the official who declined to be named.

According to the official, the immigrants leaving voluntarily during the amnesty period will have to pay their own transportation costs as governments are only liable to bear the repatriation costs of those deported from illegal immigrants' detention centres.

Another official from the Bangladesh High Commission in Kuala Lumpur today said most of their nationals have already been issued valid travel passes to leave Malaysia by July 31.

"Several weeks ago, we had issued travel permits to many people who have applied here. Now, there are only one or two in the day who come to obtain travel documents," said the official who has also requested anonymity.

Six-month extension for test

The official added that the high commission is now processing applications from Bangladesh nationals whose work permits and passports are expiring next month.

"There is a six-month extension (by the Malaysian government) for legal workers to sit for a skills test. They have to renew their passports in order to submit their work permit applications to the immigration department," added the official.

Under new legislation, foreign workers who have worked in Malaysia for more than five years previously are allowed to apply for an extension of their work permits only if they are certified as having certain skills by a national vocational training institute.

Indonesian immigrants form the largest group of undocumented migrant workers in Malaysia, numbering up to an estimated one million persons, followed by Bangladeshi migrant workers.

According to statistics released by the immigration department, between March 22 and July 11, a total of 145,578 Indonesians and 13,476 Bangladesh immigrants have left the country voluntarily after the amnesty period was announced.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In