Hearing on PJ plan brings no relief to residents
Residents called in to the Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MPPJ) to explain their objections to the proposed PJ local plan draft(1) left dissatisfied with the way the hearing was conducted today.
The day-long hearing, convened by the Selangor government to hear out affected communities, was called after some 5,000 objections were submitted over a period up to May 17.
Residents interviewed by malaysiakini said the panel did not respond directly to their objections or give a time frame for any amendments to the controversial draft plan, which the council has promised to do.
MPPJ had contacted 210 residents last Friday by hand-delivered mail to attend the hearing, but not all could show up due to the short notice. In addition, some were affected by the fact that today is a working day.
Among the seven officials who conducted the hearing were council president Emran Kadir, local government committee chairman Mokhtar Ahmad, Selangor land and mines director [email protected] Abong, Selangor town and country planning director Halimaton Saadiah Hashim and MPPJ planning and development director Sharifah Marhaini Syed Ali.
'Waste of time'
The MPPJ letter informed residents that they would be heard out individually during six sessions ranging in duration from 60 to 90 minutes, comprising between 35 and 60 people at each session.
The first batch was kept waiting for 45 minutes for the proceedings to start, without being told why. The session was scheduled to be completed at 4.30pm.
Due to unhappiness over the limited time allocated to each individual and the long waiting time, the council accepted a suggestion to allow more than one person to appear before the panel at a time.
N Paramanathan, 65, an armed forces retiree, was the first to be called in.
"They asked for reasons for my objection. Although I told them everything, I did not get any feedback from them," said the resident of Section 17/45, who spent about 10 minutes before the panel.
"I am not happy with the session today. This has been a waste of my time because my written objection was submitted two months ago. I have asked them to document the hearing and send a copy of the written minutes to me."
His main concerns were over public safety, because the redevelopment plan may result in traffic congestion. He also feared that an influx of foreign workers brought in to carry out projects may cause social problems.
More studies needed
Shamshul Baharain Sulaiman of Section 11/2 said he hoped the council would withdraw the plan until more feasibility studies can be done.
Asked to comment on MPPJ's claim that the plan would bring development to the area, he said: "It is unreasonable for the council to involve people's property and houses in the plan."
"For example, the proposed widening of Jalan Bukit from two to four lanes would turn it into a 'highway'. But has the council done a traffic impact assessment study and on the safety of children who study at the primary school along the road?"
Shamshul, who has lived in Petaling Jaya for 24 years, is a committee member of Umno PJ North.
Wong Yew Kong of Section 17A-Kampung Damansara said residents were disappointed with their elected representatives who, they claimed, have not helped to resolve the matter.
"The plan will result in traffic congestion, sound and air pollution, and increase social problems," he said..
"The government cited such factors as reasons when it closed the original SJK(C) Damansara school in January last year if the draft plan is carried out, it would be a contradiction in terms."
Wong, who is a vice-secretary for the Save Our School (SOS) committee, said he had taken the opportunity to demand that the school be reopened during the 20-minute session.
Questions over delay
DAP national publicity secretary Ronnie Liu, another affected resident, said the council had not given the residents enough time to prepare for the hearing.
"I want to know why the council only passed the letter to the residents last Friday. Some letters are undated, while others are dated July 8 why was there a delay?"
"The session was not productive because the residents did not get any answers from the panel members. The least they could have done was to tell us if our objections are valid or not. They did not challenge our objections, but gave no positive feedback either."
He stressed that PJ should be maintained as a satellite town with low residential density and average commercial activity.
The draft local plan seeks to change Petaling Jaya into a bustling city through a host of residential, commercial and infrastructure development.
A barrage of objections arose from residents when it was announced, as they felt it would adversely affect their quality of life.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now