Mahathir silent on possible meeting with Suu Kyi

comments     Published     Updated

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad remained silent on Tuesday about a possible meeting with Burma's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi during his visit to Rangoon in mid-August.

"No confirmation, there's nothing, no statement," Mahathir was quoted as saying by the official Bernama news agency when asked whether a request was made by the opposition leader and if he would meet Aung San Suu Kyi.

A senior official said Monday that Aung San Suu Kyi had requested a meeting.

The official said the possibility of a meeting was high but Malaysia would seek the approval of Burma's junta's first.

Mahathir, in power for 21 years and Asia's longest-serving leader, has not previously met Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD).

Malaysia is a close ally of Burmar's in Asean, a 10-nation grouping which marks the 35th anniversary of its founding on Aug 8.

Mahathir is due to make a two-day official visit to Burma from Aug 18, accompanied by officials and businessmen.

Malaysia is the sixth largest investor in Burma, with more than RM2.2 billion (US$594 million) committed to 26 projects over the past 10 years. AFP



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In