Verbal battle intensifies between rival factions as Snap EGM nears

comments     Tony Thien     Published     Updated

The verbal salvo between the two opposing factions in the crisis-ridden Sarawak National Party (Snap) is escalating in the run-up to this Sunday's crucial party meet to elect new leaders.

The faction headed by embattled party president James Wong Kim Min is showing signs of 'nervousness' over the Aug 11 extraordinary general meeting.

The meet, called by the president's rivals, is expected to see new leaders elected to replace Wong and several of his men.

On Wednesday, secretary-general Justine Jinggut — who is aligned to the president — placed a notice in the English daily Borneo Post urging divisional chiefs and members not to attend the meet which he described as unconstitutional and illegal.

The notice also warned that action will be taken against those who attend the meet.

However, in a statement released today, the secretary-general appears to have toned down a little, saying that anyone who attends the EGM will be doing so in his or her personal capacity.

Meanwhile, the party's acting secretary-general Dr Judson Sakai Tagal — of the rival faction helmed by suspended deputy president Peter Tinggom — replied with another notice informing the divisional chiefs and members that Justine's Aug 7 notice was "null and void" as he had been "censured by the national council on June 23".

Apart from Justine, Wong and his son who is the party senior vice-president were also censured during the national council meeting. New appointments made included deputy president Tinggom becoming acting president and Judson acting secretary-general.

No authority

"The national council meeting on June 23, 2002 had censured Justine Jinggut as the secretary-general of Snap and therefore he has no authority to exercise his right as the secretary-general of Snap any longer," said Judson who is also Sarawak assistant minister of infrastructure development and communications.

"All Snap divisional chairmen and delegates, including James Wong, Justine Jinggut, Richard Wong, Stanley Jugol and Denis Liew, are hereby invited and requested to attend the EGM on Aug 11, 2002.

'This EGM has been legally sanctioned by the national council members during the national council meeting held on June 23, 2002 in accordance with the Snap constitution," he added in the notice.

He also said that all the matters which will be transacted during the EGM will be legal and binding.

"The censured secretary-general has neither the right nor the authority to take disciplinary action against any member attending the EGM. He is no longer the secretary-general of Snap. Therefore, all bona fide members of Snap should have no fear in attending the EGM," he added.

Judson said the date of the Snap triennial general assembly shall be determined by the incoming president and his central executive committee members. All divisions will be informed of the general assembly accordingly.

Meanwhile, in his press statement today, Justine — in his capacity as secretary-general — repeated his earlier claims that the actions and meetings of the Tinggom faction since May this year "were all unconstitutional and illegal".

"Under what basis and what authority can they claim they are the leaders — the acting president and acting secretary-general — when they have not been given recognition in the country?" he asked.

"No amount of insinuation in the press or shouting in the most despicable and unconstitutional way can prove their legality.

"The so-called Group of 8 is but a sandiwara (play-acting), having a hidden agenda at the expense of the party," he said.

Justine reiterated that the best avenue to solve the leadership issue would be next February's triennial general assembly.

"Whatever [that] will transpire at the illegal EGM will be null and void and will have no effect on the party. It is just like an illegal cock fighting," he said.

De-register party

In a related development, both factions said they will comment soon on reports quoting the the Registrar of Societies as saying that he had given them an extra month to try to resolve their differences, failing which he may have to intervene and make a decision.

Both factions confirmed replying to the ROS letter seeking clarifications on various meetings that were held and asking to be informed of steps being taken to resolve their differences.

The ROS statement appears to indicate that he is not happy with the replies, and wants to see more positive action on the part of both factions to resolve their differences.

Most political observers generally agree that the two sides seem to have burnt their bridges, and the possibility of a reconciliation seems more remote with the escalation in the exchange of words through the media.

A local reporter who asked not be identified said he had spoken to the ROS on a number of occasions and the ROS indicated that if the two sides could not resolve their differences it could lead to him having to de-register the party eventually.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In