Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this

Umno Youth chief Hishammuddin Hussein today launched another round of criticism against Chinese lobby groups that disagreed with the wing's mooted government decision to teach Science and Mathematics in English, labelling them as "seditious and extremist".

Hishammuddin claimed the discussions led by the group Dong Jiao Zong the collective name for the United Chinese School Committees Association Malaysia (Dong Zhong) and United Chinese School Teachers Association Malaysia (Jiao Zong) have gone "overboard" and their views were "unconstructive".

"They have also tried to incite hatred and prejudice among the Chinese towards the government by being slanderous," he told reporters after Umno Youth's meeting at the Putra World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur today.

"This is what we call seditious and extremist. It must be stopped at once," he added.

Since announcing the language switch last month, the government has been criticised by various social and education groups across all three major ethnic groups over its hasty implementation of the new policy without due study.

Deputy Home Minister Zainal Abidin Zin recently even threatened to use the Internal Security Act, which allows detention without trial, against these groups for 'inciting' racial tension.

The most vocal of these groups is Dong Jiao Zong, against whom the government has retaliated by calling them 'extremists'.

'Open to hear all arguments'

Hishammuddin was particularly miffed by a statement issued by Dong Zhong chairperson Quek Sian Hiang in Chinese daily Sin Chew Jit Poh on Aug 6 headlined 'Chinese primary and secondary schools will disappear completely if we do not oppose the switch to English Language, says Quek'.

In the report, Quek questioned the effectiveness of the process that will reduce the use of mother tongues, referring to Indonesia as an example.

"The ethnic groups in Indonesia use one language, one culture but were the Chinese in Indonesia treated equally? No, they were robbed, killed, raped, burnt and so on...those are the effects of assimilation," the report quoted Quek as saying.

According to the report, Quek questioned the implementation of Vision Schools in the country, claiming that it was a subtle plan to abolish Chinese primary schools. He also reportedly said the government was not aware of the importance of Mandarin.

Hishammuddin denied twisting Quek's statements and accused him instead of speaking in a "racial tone, trying to frighten the Chinese by talking about the Vision School concept", and that Quek "lied when he said the government was not aware of the significance of Mandarin".

Hishammuddin said the debate on the issue should be focused on the implementation, effectiveness of the language switch and the problem of engaging enough teachers for the job, brushing aside doubts on how using English in Science and Mathematics can actually improve command of the language.

He added that Umno Youth was "open to hear all arguments on the implementation of the move which must be constructive and related to the issue". But when asked if it will engage Dong Jiao Zong to discuss the issue, Hishammuddin replied with a firm "no" not even if the party was invited by the movement.

'Heroes in their own village'

On why he seemed to be only targeting Chinese lobby groups as there were also Indian and Malay groups opposing the move, the Youth leader said "only the Chinese groups are coming out strongly in the newspapers".

He advised all groups to be "rational and mature" in their arguments saying they must all place national interest and the future of the young generation" before their political interest.

Hishammuddin also criticised opposition parties PAS, DAP and Keadilan for joining the bandwagon against the government on this issue.

"They are only heroes in their own village. They are not sincere but are seeking a narrow political platform to gain support.

"They are not capable of bringing this nation to new heights and they are not rational and mature at all," he added.


2 DAYS TO GO!

On Thursday, Aug 15, Malaysiakini's news section will no longer be free. Don't miss out on the country's only independent news source. Subscribe NOW! Click here .

Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS