Police to probe familys foul play claim

comments     Leong Kar Yen     Published     Updated

The police will investigate the allegation of foul play concerning the death of a snatch theft suspect who escaped from their custody earlier this month, said Dang Wangi district police chief Hadi Ho Abdullah today.

"If the family have lodged a report, we will open up the investigation, so let us investigate," he said when contacted.

This morning P Vivashnu's mother lodged a report regarding the matter with the Jalan Campbell police station.

K Letchumy, 47, claimed that a body found in the Klang river on Aug 4 was her son and that his death was caused by the beatings inflicted while in detention.

However, police are yet to identify the body as it is highly decomposed. Last week, Hadi was reported as saying that DNA samples have been taken.

Vivashanu, a 24year-old food stall operator, was arrested on Aug 1 at his uncle's house in Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur but was alleged to have escaped two days later.

Beaten with a cable

In her report, Letchumy (far left) claimed that her son's hands were tied and that he was beaten with a cable by the police.

She also alleged that cili padi (bird's eye chilies) were put on the wounds.

According to her, a fellow detainee known only as Mariappan identified Vivashanu's body after recognising a prominent bruise on the body.

Hadi declined to comment on the allegation. However, the police chief was quoted as saying last week that charges of criminal defamation would be filed if the allegation is proven untrue.

Speaking to reporters later, an emotional Letchumy called on the police to reveal the true cause of her son's death.

Also present were the families of S Tharma and and M Ragubathy both of whom died while under detention at the Putrajaya police station on June 21 and July 28 respectively.

Both families claimed that the duo died under mysterious circumstances and called for the police to quickly conduct investigations and bring about justice.

Meanwhile, Suzana Mohd Aris the wife of a detainee who allegedly died in the Rawang police station lock-up also related her experience.

The 35-year-old labourer said her husband, Mohd Anuar Sarip, died under mysterious conditions in Aug 199.

"My husband was healthy when they took him but then after that he just died in the lockup. They did not even say why he was taken away.

"It has been three years now and the police still have not taken any action over my husband's death," said the mother of two, adding that she is still in the dark as to why her husband was detained.

Be more transparent

In a related development, Malaysian Human Rights (Suhakam) commissioner Prof Hamdan Adnan said the police have to be more transparent when carrying out their duties.

"These deaths have badly affected the image of the police. It would be good for them to investigate and be transparent about it. It is now three deaths too many.

"The police must do their part and their duty to get rid of crime but they must also make sure that they do not abuse their powers," Hamdan said.

Hamdan said that the commission would be contacting the police over the matter.


2 DAYS TO GO!

On Thursday, Aug 15, Malaysiakini's news section will no longer be free. Don't miss out on the country's only independent news source. Subscribe NOW! Click here .


Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In