Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Language switch to proceed even without BN consensus

updated version

The government will proceed with its plan to teach Science and Mathematics in English in vernacular schools next year even if it does not get the full commitment of Barisan Nasional component parties namely the Chinese-based parties.

Responding to a question on whether the proposed language switch will be delayed if the commitment does not come forth, Education Minister Musa Mohamed said: "No, definitely not, we will still go ahead".

Previously the government said it will implement the new system in all national schools next year as a move to arrest the declining standard of English in the country.

The government did not decide whether to implement the system in vernacular schools, leaving BN component parties to deliberate on the matter.

Last Saturday, the Indian-based coalition partner MIC gave the green light to the proposal after a meeting with Tamil school headmasters and Parent Teacher Association chairpersons.

However, another major component partner, the Chinese-based MCA, was non-committal on the issue, saying it needed more time to discuss the matter with various other groups.

The proposed language switch has evoked strong criticism from various quarters, the most vocal being Chinese movements.

Stand firm

At today's cabinet meeting, Musa said MCA had yet to forward any proposal or discussed with him on its implementation.

However, he said MIC has written a letter on their stand and their findings on the issue.

"We are only waiting for some of the Chinese-based component parties to make their decision. For the time frame on this, we have none," the minister said.

He said the ministry is also preparing the text books and training courses for teachers to implement the plan next year.

Musa said the ministry would stand firm on its decision despite the strong objections from various education bodies and civil groups.

"There will always be objections, but that does not mean we will back down, we've already made the decision," he said.

"We've done all the academic studies that we need, I do not think anyone need to do anymore," he added.

He said the studies will not be made public since the implementation has not even started.

Commenting on Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad's proposal yesterday to set up multi-racial clubs in local universities to promote integration, Musa said he discussed this with ministry officials today.

"Every club at the university is multi-racial, they involved students of all races," he said.

"The difference is we do not have any club to specifically promote social integration. Thus, we need to discuss PM's proposal," he added.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS