Arrest of M'sians not an act of revenge: Indonesia

comments     Published     Updated

JAKARTA - Top Indonesian security minister Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono called for calm on Wednesday in a dispute with Malaysia and said his government was not seeking revenge for its deportation of Indonesian workers.

"The government of Indonesia has no policy of revenge such as alleged by some people," Yudhoyono told reporters, denying that the recent arrest of Malaysians in Medan was an act of revenge.

"I feel that these comments from the Malaysian side are already disproportionate," he said.

Yudhoyono said police arrested 12 foreigners, including several Malaysians, during a raid on a bar in the city in North Sumatra last week but the foreigners were later all released.

For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.

Sign in Subscribe now


Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In