Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Lim asks Suhakam to monitor 929' campaign
Published:  Sep 7, 2002 12:56 PM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

DAP chairperson Lim Kit Siang has urged the Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) to monitor its "No to 929" campaign in Klang tomorrow morning to ensure that it is not interrupted by the police for the third time.

In a press statement, he urged Suhakam chairmperson Abu Talib Othman to send its commissioners to observe the event at Pandamaran new village and Klang so that the police will not criminalise the peaceful and legitimate campaign.

He hoped that tommorow's event will not be interrupted by the police as what had happened on Aug 18 and 24, leading to the arrests of 12 people, including himself.

He also pointed out that although 32 people, including himself, had been arrested under the Sedition Act in connection with the '929' campaign over the past four months, no one has yet to be charged for any offence.

He said there was no reason for the police to harass the campaigners as it is a peaceful event and legitimate and is aimed to defend Malaysia's status as a secular and multi-religious country as stated in the 1957 Merdeka Constitution and the 1963 Malaysia Agreement.

Continue to protest

He said the DAP will continue to protest against any attempt to establish an Islamic state whether by Umno or PAS.

On Aug 25, he and five supporters were arrested on Aug 25 for distributing leaflets opposing Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad's announcement on Sept 29, last year that Malaysia is an Islamic state.

They were asked to turn up the Klang magistrate's court yesterday but were later told that the police had received no instruction to charge them.

After waiting for about an hour, they decided to 'free' themselves and 'released' their six bailors stating that if the police wanted to pursue the matter, they could re-arrest them.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS