Manila silent on 13-year-olds repatriation
Police investigating the alleged rape of a 13-year-old girl by Sabah police said although proof of her Malaysian citizenship had been sent to Manila, it could not be ascertained whether the minor will be returning anytime soon.
Clarifying a Monday report in Malay language daily Berita Harian , Bukit Aman CID (Special Investigation) principal assistant director Takbir Ahmad Nazir said he is still "not quite certain" when the girl will be coming back since he had not received a reply directly from Manila.
"We have sent the DNA reports and (a copy) of her birth certificate to their Interpol officials. (Manila) has given an indication of its willingness to send the girl back although they have not said so on paper," he said when contacted.
Takbir, who is heading a three-member team to investigate the rape claims, was reported as saying that a letter from Manila is expected to be delivered to the Foreign Affairs Ministry this week and that the girl would be brought back to Sabah latest by next week.
When contacted, Philippines embassy consul-general in Kuala Lumpur, Luis Cruz, and officials at the Philippine Foreign Affairs Ministry denied any knowledge of the matter.
For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.
Sign in Subscribe now