Security forces detain 15 Filipino migrants

comments     Published     Updated

Security forces in Sabah, with eyes peeled for some members of the al-Qaeda linked Abu Sayyaf rebel group, have arrested 15 Filipinos, a top military official said today.

Muhamad Yasin Yahya, fifth brigade infantry commander said the 13 adult men and two girls were spotted in a boat sailing the waters off Sibuan island and have been arrested and taken into custody for not having travel documents, he said.

But Muhamad said they were not the Muslim rebels wanted by the Philippines.

"They are ordinary illegal immigrants and are not militants," he was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency.

Many Filipinos travel to Sabah illegally in search of employment and to escape poverty back home.

Malaysia has placed its forces on full alert after a report that 10 Muslim gunmen had fled the southern Philippines into Sabah.

"We stop and check every boat that crosses our maritime border round-the-clock. So far, there is nothing to indicate that members of the group have slipped into Sabah waters," Muhamad said.

Fleeing military offensive

A Philippine intelligence report Saturday suggested at least 10 Abu Sayyaf rebels fled to Sabah in recent days.

They snuck out of Patikul on the island of Jolo, fleeing a military offensive against the stronghold of the gang linked by both Washington and Manila to the al-Qaeda terror network, the report said.

Among those reportedly bound for Sabah are rebels blamed for the kidnapping of 21 Filipino, Malaysian and Western hostages from dive resorts in Sabah two years ago, it said.

Most of the captives were later freed, allegedly after ransom was paid.

The Abu Sayyaf are notorious for kidnapping Christians and foreigners in the southern Philippines and holding them for hefty ransoms. AFP



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In