Gov't rejects Singapore's proposal to ink islet pact in Brussels
The government yesterday rejected Singapore's proposal that a pact to refer a row over ownership of an islet to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) be signed in Brussels later January.
It was unacceptable for the agreement to be signed so far away in Belgium when it could be done here, said Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
"We have agreed to sign the special agreement to take the matter to the ICJ but why should it be done in Brussels. Do it here," Mahathir was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency.
He said he did not understand why Singapore wanted the pact to be inked on the sidelines of a summit between Asean and the European Union in Brussels on Jan 27 or 28.
Letter of protest
The Malaysian government has sent a letter of protest to Singapore over its refusal to cease activities on the Batu Puteh islet known in Singapore as Pedra Branca until the dispute was resolved.
Police have advised fishermen and politicians to stay away from the area until the dispute is settled.
Malaysia maintains it has had sovereignty since the early 16th century over the islet but Singapore says it has exercised sovereign rights since the 1840s when the British colonial government occupied the islet and constructed a lighthouse.
The rival claims over the strategically located islet near the mouth of the Singapore Strait is one of several issues straining Malaysia's bilateral ties with Singapore.
Other points of contention are water that Malaysia supplies to the resource-starved city-state and the use by Singapore jet fighters of their neighbour's air space. AFP
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now