BN supreme council: MCAs action against errant duo sufficient
The Barisan Nasional supreme council today decided not to take any further action against two MCA Penang state assembly representatives who were suspended indefinitely by the party for abstaining from voting on an opposition motion to defer the controversial RM1.02 billion Penang Outer Road Ring (Porr) project.
BN chairperson Dr Mahathir Mohamad said that, following a lengthy discussion among the 14 coalition members, it was unanimously decided that the disciplinary action taken by MCA against the duo was sufficient.
On Dec 16, MCA indefinitely suspended Lim Boo Chang (Dato Keramat) and Tan Cheng Lian (Jawi) on the recommendations of its disciplinary committee, following a hearing.
Both Umno and Gerakan leaders had clamoured for MCA to sack the duo, saying that discipline within BN would be tarnished if stern action was not taken.
However, Mahathir said today that BN had been discussing the matter at length and considered feedback from coalition leaders, and decided not to further punish the duo.
The premier also said the question of how long the suspension would be in force has not been decided as yet by the ruling coalition.
For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.
Sign in Subscribe now