Ling sends quit letter to PM, ready to step down any time
In a surprise announcement today, MCA president Ling Liong Sik said he has submitted an undated resignation letter to Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad and indicated his willingness to vacate his ministerial post at any time.
Ling said that the letter submitted on Aug 15 last year was the second that he has sent to quit as transport minister the first having been submitted in May 2000 following an internal leadership tussle in MCA.
"In 2000, I already wanted to go but at that time it was seen as wrong by MCA members. I must tell you that there is no perfect time for retirement but when I look at my agenda, I think I have completed a very large part. I don't think I can do much more," he told reporters after the Barisan Nasional supreme council meeting at the Putra World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur.
However, the minister said the decision on when he should leave now lies with the premier and that the move would not affect his position as MCA chief.
Ling made the shock announcement to reporters in a separate briefing following a press conference held by Mahathir, who had chaired the supreme council meeting of the ruling BN coalition this afternoon.
However, Mahathir had not mentioned the matter at his press conference although Ling said it had been discussed at the meeting.
When asked what prompted the discussion, Ling said, "He (Mahathir) just decided to announce it today."
For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.
Sign in Subscribe now