Countrys image tarnished by police action, say politicians

comments     Susan Loone     Published     Updated

Malaysiakini supporters, mostly from the opposition, who have been given space to air their views o­n the independent o­nline publication, have come out in full force to defend its right to freedom of speech.

DAP national chairperson Lim Kit Siang described the raid as a "triple blow" to Malaysia marking a new climax, post-Sept11, of "authoritarian syndrome trampling o­n democracy and human rights".

Lim said the crackdown was in violation of the Multimedia Super Corridor Bill of Guarantees which had pledged no censorship of the Internet. It is a major setback for the K-economy master plan to enhance international competitiveness, he said.

"It is clear that the unprecedented police action would not be able to cow or crush malaysiakini or the yearnings of Malaysians for greater freedom of speech, expression and information," said Lim.

He commended malaysiakini for "symbolising this indomitable spirit and refusal to be cowed by repressive and high-handed police actions when it resumed publication 10 hours after the police shut-down".

This showed that the police's attempt to close down the website by removing 19 editorial computers had o­nly temporary effect, he added.

Double standards

Parti Sosialis Malaysia said it was "bewildered" by the extent of double standards practised by the government as the police take swift action if certain quarters had lodged the reports.

"How can Malaysia lead the Non Aligned Movement next month and advocate peace to the world when at home, the government violently suppresses the freedom of its people?" asked PSM pro tem secretary-general S Arutchelvam.

"The action o­n malaysiakini will add yet another 'feather' to Malaysia's continuous violations to human rights and democracy," he added.

Arutchelvan said malaysiakini should be proud that it has played a crucial role in exposing the government of the day.

PRM Youth questioned the timing of the police report and the raid, implying that it may be connected to the impending general elections, which is due in 2004 or earlier.

Dirty tactics

"[This] indicates the unwillingness of the ruling party to allow any dissenting voice, especially from the opposition," said the Youth wing in a press statement today.

"We can o­nly conclude that this is just another dirty tactic by the ruling parties using their Youth wings to bully those who question their actions and policies," they said, urging all Youth wings of political parties to "use their faculties and avoid being used as mouthpieces of those who are really in power".

When asked for his comments regarding the recent police crackdown o­n malaysiakini , MCA MP for Serdang Yap Pian Hon said there should be clear-cut policies o­n what type of o­nline content jeopardises national security.

He also questioned why the police had yet to investigate his report recently lodged against a Chinese electronic discussion group called kopitiam.com that had alleged he was involved in vice activities in Serdang, which included prostitution.

Yap, a former MCA vice president, is linked to Team B led by deputy president Lim Ah Lek. He has denied the allegations, saying the whole thing is a "political ploy (by team A led by MCA chief Dr Ling Liong Sik) to wallop Team B".

No investigation yet

He said he was unaware if police had started any investigation although he lodged the report against the website last month.

He urged the police to investigate his report as speedily as they launched an investigation into Umno Youth's report o­n malaysiakini .

"I want the police to tell me the outcome of the investigation (on kopitiam.com )," he said when contacted yesterday.

Monday's raid was in response to a letter that Umno Youth had claimed was seditious and could cause racial tension.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In