PM's Office requests copy of the Petrof letter
The Prime Minister's Office yesterday requested a copy of the letter published by malaysiakini which had led Umno Youth to lodge a police report claiming its content was seditious.
Copies of the letter - 'Similarities between 'new Americans and bumiputera' - written by Petrof on Jan 9 and two other preceding ones - 'No apologies for the Malaysian way' (Jan 7) by Delimma and 'Why PM why?' (Jan 3) by Manjit Bhatia were subsequently faxed to the premier's office.
When contacted, an official from the department said today that Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad received two protest letters from international media organisations which criticised the police raid on
malaysiakini
.
"I am not very sure which organisations have sent their protest, but they represent international media organisations," said the official who declined to be named.
"The letters (faxed by malaysiakini ) are for the prime minister's consumption," he added.
Among the international media organisations which sent protest letters after the police raid were Bangkok-based Southeast Asian Press Alliance, London-based Commonwealth Journalists Association, New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists, Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontieres and Brussels-based International Federation of Journalists.
Mahathir overseas
Mahathir was abroad when the police seized 15 CPUs and four servers from malaysiakini's office in Bangsar Utama, Kuala Lumpur on Jan 20.
The hardware, 15 of which were returned in stages over the next few days, were seized when the online daily's editor-in-chief Steven Gan refused to disclose the identity of the letter writer on the ground of professional ethics.
The next day, the police recorded a statement from Gan while four other editorial staff also had their statements recorded later.
Investigating officer ASP Alzafny Ahmad from the Dang Wangi district police headquarters said that malaysiakini chief executive officer Premesh Chandran will also be called in for questioning in the next few days.
Mahathir, who attended the World Economic Summit in Switzerland after visiting Lebanon and Egypt, returned to Kuala Lumpur on Sunday.
Eviction
Meanwhile, malaysiakini will be seeking legal action against its landlord, PC Suria, for evicting the online news daily from its office.
Last week, malaysiakini was served with an eviction order after the controversial police raid. According to PC Suria, the independent media organisation had committed 'unlawful' activities and demanded that it vacate its premises by Feb 28.
PC Suria, a distributor of computer products, is wholly owned by Nascom, a government-backed enterprise.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now