Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar today said the initial investigation report received by the ministry did not indicate any police mistreatment of some 200 Indian nationals - most of them information technology professionals - arrested on Sunday.
The minister added that he received a protest note from the Indian government and the
Indian High Commission
here today on the alleged police mistreatment of the detainees, which included physical assault and the defacing of their passports.
The detainees were reportedly ordered to do sit-ups, while others were stripped to their underwear, slapped and kicked inside the police station.
"These allegations had been widely published in many India-based newspapers. These are very serious allegations. The initial report we have now doesn't show any wrongful act of the police," said Syed Hamid.
