Defiant Saddam slams reckless criminal little Bush
Three hours after the United States unleashed its first salvo on Iraq, President Saddam Hussein remained defiant and accused President George W Bush of committing crimes against humanity.
A
Reuters
report said the Iraqi leader, determined to prove that he had withstood the US "decapitation" strike on Baghdad, appeared on national television clad in a military uniform and took care to make a reference to today's date.
"To the great Iraqi people, the brave strugglers, to the heroic armed forces: with the prayers of dawn on March 20, 2003, the reckless criminal little Bush committed the crime that he has been threatening to commit against Iraq and humanity," said the 66-year-old president.
Pentagon officials had earlier said the initial strikes , which saw a volley of cruise missiles ( photo ) raining on Baghdad at 5.30am Iraqi time (10.30am Malaysian time), was aimed at eliminating Saddam and other senior leaders.
For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.
Sign in Subscribe now