Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Philippines officials arriving today to reopen peace talks with rebels
Published:  Mar 26, 2003 5:20 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

MANILA - Officials from Manila will go to Malaysia in an attempt to revive stalled peace talks with the biggest Philippine Muslim separatist movement, a government peace panel said yesterday.

Four advisers to President Gloria Arroyo will depart to meet representatives of the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in Kuala Lumpur, said Josita Andot, the panel's director.

She said that the talks would be "mainly exploratory" but the biggest challenge was to restore the discussion process to the level before negotiations stalled due to a new round of fighting earlier this year.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

Unlocking Article
Unlocking Article
ADS