Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Protesters released, police slammed for 'double standard' treatment

While the 12 anti-war protesters have since been released, the police nevertheless came under fire for what have been described as provocative action and double standard in handling anti-war demonstrations.

Firing the first salvo against the cops for yesterday's incident, Parti Rakyat Malaysia (PRM) president Dr Syed Husin Ali said it was totally unnecessary for the police to arrest the group outside the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC).

Syed Husin was among 12 persons arrested after a two-and-a-half hour demonstration which saw protesters moving around several locations in the KLCC area, including the Australian Embassy. They had earlier been refused police permission to march towards the United States Embassy in Jalan Tun Razak.

The group, which included five PRM members, five PAS supporters and two passers-by, were released yesterday at about 10 pm after the police recorded their details. They have been told to report to the Dang Wangi police station o­n April 8.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

Unlocking Article
Unlocking Article
ADS