10 of 16 Malaysian MH17 victims are non-Muslims
MH17 Ten of the 16 Malaysian victims of the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH17 crash identified had been confirmed to be non-Muslims, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Joseph Kurup.
Kurup is responsible for managing the return of the remains of 22 Malaysian non-Muslim victims of the MH17 crash, out of the total of 43 from this country including the crew members.
He said four non-Islamic religious representatives had left for Amsterdam, the Netherlands to manage the remains of the Malaysian non-Muslim victims of the air crash which occurred in eastern Ukraine on July 17.
“These religious representatives will conduct prayers and perform other rites in accordance with the respective religious beliefs,” he said at a news conference in conjunction with their departure from the KL International Airport in Sepang last night.
Kurup said the four non-Islamic religious representatives who left for Amsterdam were Venerable Sing Kan (for Buddhist victims), Mohan Shan (Hindu victims), Sardar Haracharan Singh (Sikh victims) and Daozhang Tan Bon Sin (Taoist victims).
He said for Malaysian Christian victims of the MH17 crash, the management of their remains would be coordinated by Rev. Klaas van der Kamp from the Council of Churches in the Netherlands.
“The four religious representatives are accompanied by two officers from the National Unity and Integration Department to ensure a smooth operation,” he added.
Kurup also said that the government would respect the decision of the families of whether to cremate the victims' remains in the Netherlands or to bring them back to Malaysia, with the costs to be borne by MAS.
He also said that Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin would announce the date for sending back the remains of the 16 Malaysian victims already identified, at a meeting in Putrajaya today.
First Officer’s remains identified
Meanwhile, the remains of First Officer Muhammad Firdaus Abdul Rahim was among those of 16 Malaysian victims already identified and will be sent home by next week at the earliest.
His uncle, Azman Ibrahim, said MAS had informed the developments to the victim’s mother and elder sister in Shah Alam on Tuesday, but they had not been told when his remains would actually arrive in Malaysia.
“We were informed that Muhammad Firdaus’ remains were identified through DNA matching. We were also told that his family members would be taken to Amsterdam to accompany the victim's remains back to Malaysia,” he said when contacted yesterday.
Azman said although the family was still grieving over the loss and did not know about the condition of the victim's remains, they were still relieved that his remains would be brought back and be buried next to his late father’s grave in Teluk Intan, Perak as he had wished.
Meanwhile, the family of another MH17 crash victim, Tambi Jiee, was still hopeful that his remains and that of his wife Ariza Gazalee and their four children could be brought home to Semariang, Sarawak.
This was revealed in Kuala Lumpur yesterday by Ariza’s cousin, Zurusdi Mohamad Hol.
Hoping for the same is Madiani Mahdi, the wife of MAS steward Shaikh Mohd Noor Mahmood who was also on board the ill-fated flight MH17.
Madiani said MAS had told her to be prepared although she had not received information that her husband’s remains were among those of 16 Malaysian victims already identified.
She said the family had all agreed that Shaikh Mohd Noor be interred at his village in Klang if his remains were brought back to Malaysia.
The MAS plane on flight MH17, carrying 283 passengers and 15 crew members, crashed in eastern Ukraine on July 17 while on its way from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.
It is believed to have been shot down by a missile over the troubled country.
- Bernama
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now