Nik Azizs second angioplasty goes well, out in a week
Kelantan Menteri Besar Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat successfully underwent his second coronary angioplasty today at the National Heart Institute (IJN) in Kuala Lumpur and doctors expect him to be discharged within the week.
"The procedure was done through his right wrist to the left coronary artery. His condition was stable throughout and after procedure," IJN cardiologist Dr Rosli Mohd Ali told a press conference, adding that it took about an hour to complete.
The procedure was a follow-up to his first angioplasty performed on him last Friday at the Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia in Kelantan. The procedure was necessary to clear a blockage and widen the bore of a narrowed right coronary artery, the main cause of his heart attack .
Nik Aziz, who is also PAS' spiritual leader, will undergo another minor surgery on Saturday to implant a cardiac defibrillator, a device that functions like a pacemaker and enables doctors to monitor his heartbeat.
Rosli said the menteri besar's condition was satisfactory enough for him to undergo another surgery within such a short period.
'Strong 73-year-old'
"It is a procedure rather than a surgery and he is a very strong 73-year-old ... he recovered very fast," he said.
The cardiologist further explained that Nik Aziz would undergo cardiac rehabilitation following this Saturday's procedure and could be discharged from the hospital within a week of the rehabilitation.
He said that Nik Aziz was capable of resuming his role as the Kelantan menteri besar.
"He is doing very well. The doctors will advise him to go on leave for four to six weeks but there is no reason why he shouldn't continue his official duties," Rosli said, adding that a coronary bypass operation was no longer necessary given Nik Aziz' speedy recovery.
As to the possibility for another heart attack, Rosli said he would discuss with Nik Aziz and his family ways they could help reduce the risk of another one.
Also present at the press conference were IJN chairperson Mohamed Khatib Abdul Hamid and its chief executive officer Mohd Radzif Mohd Yunus.
VIPs visit
Meanwhile, more VIPs visited the 73-year-old politician including former deputy premier Ghafar Baba, Rural and Regional Development Minister Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin, Parliamentary Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang and DAP Bukit Bintang Member of Parliament Fong Kui Lun.
PAS leaders who turned up included vice-president Mustafa Ali, secretary-general Nasharuddin Mat Isa, central committee member Dr Hatta Ramli and Rantau Panjang MP Abdul Fatah Harun.
Ghafar, using a wheelchair, arrived at about 2pm accompanied by his assistants.
He asked Nik Aziz how was his appetite and when the latter replied 'Good', Ghafar then suggested, much to Nik Aziz's amusement, that the latter should have a serving of nasi dagang (a famous Kelantan dish).
The 79-year-old ex-deputy premier also disclosed that he was warded at the IJN room just next to Nik Aziz's previously.
Speaking to reporters, Nik Aziz said he was thankful to God for his speedy recovery and expressed his gratitude to all the people, irrespective of race and political background, who had prayed for his health.
"Now, I am only waiting to go back and give ceramah," he told reporters cheerfully.
He added that he is not worried about the day-to-day running of the Kelantan state government as his deputy Ahmad Yaakob had assumed the role.
According to IJN officials, Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and the Yang Di Pertuan Agong are expected to visit the PAS leader later today and tomorrow.
The PAS veteran was visited by Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) president Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, her deputy Dr Syed Husin Ali and party vice presidents Tian Chua and Azmin Ali yesterday.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now