M'sia receives MH17 crash report from Dutch gov't

comments     Bernama     Published     Updated

Malaysia has received a report on the investigations into the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crash tragedy by the Dutch authorities, according to Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai.

He said the government would need about 60 days to examine the report thoroughly before providing feedback to the Dutch authorities.

"I do not want to comment on the results of the inquiry yet, as I want to review it first. The Dutch government has given us 60 days to send feedback.

"This report should be examined carefully, because this incident does not only involve Malaysia; the world is also waiting to find out what really happened to MH17," he said.

He was speaking to reporters after a closed-door meeting and dialogue session with MCA leaders in Kota Baru, Kelantan, today.

Commenting further, Liow said although there was an attempt by Russia to block the tribunal brought by the United Nations to prosecute those who masterminded the incident, Malaysia would take the necessary steps to seek the truth about the incident.

"With the help of the UN, we will do whatever it takes to find justice for the families of the victims and the compensation due to them," he said.

The ill-fated flight MH17 was carrying 298 passengers and crew, including 44 Malaysians, from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it crashed in eastern Ukraine, after being allegedly shot down in the turbulent region on July 17 last year.

- Bernama



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In