Hindraf slams CJ for silence over inmate’s death
The chief justice (CJ) has been slammed for the “elegant silence” on the death of a convict in prison nearly two months ago.
Persatuan Hiundraf Malaysia (PWM) Hindraf chief P Waythamoorthy lamented that the letter sent to the CJ last month to carry out its obligation for an inquest into the death still remains without a reply.
“We are shocked with the lacklustre and irresponsible attitude of the judiciary in the case of death in prison of S Shashikumar on May 22, 2015 under suspicious circumstances.
“We find it abnormal for the judiciary to maintain elegant silence when their office should be concerned […],” Waythamoorthy ( on right in photo ) said in a statement today.
“The family of the deceased deserves to find out the truth on the death of Shashikumar.
“The silence of the judiciary creates a perception that something is amiss here, especially when we have previously said it received information that the death is related to distribution of drugs in prison,” he said.
Duty bound to probe
Waythamoorthy pointed out that practice directions, dated April 8, 2014, from the office of the chief registrar of Federal Court, clearly state that an inquest needs to be held whenever there is death in prison.
Among the directions prescribed, he said, were that the coroner must be present at the scene of death for examination of the body and for the officer to inquire into the cause.
Last month the family cried foul play over the death of Shashikumar, who had been serving a 10-year jail sentence for stealing cans of sardine and rice, a sentence Waythamoorthy said was “excessive”.
“We urge civil societies and Suhakam to join us in urging the attorney-general and judiciary to initiate an immediate inquest.
“The body of the Shashikumar has been in the mortuary for more than 45 days,” he added.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now