Russia may veto M’sia’s MH17 tribunal proposal

comments     Published     Updated

On the anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 today, the families of the 298 victims face the possibility that those responsible for the death of their loved ones may escape justice.

This is after Russia indicated that it would shoot down Malaysia's resolution calling for the UN Security Council to set up an international criminal tribunal to prosecute those responsible for the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17.

Malaysia on July 8 circulated a draft resolution calling for the setting up of the tribunal backed by Ukraine, the Netherlands, Australia and Belgium.

In a phone call with Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte yesterday, Russian president Vladimir Putin ( right ) was reported describing the plan as "counterproductive".

"Vladimir Putin in detail explained the Russian position regarding the premature and counterproductive nature of an initiative by a number of countries, including the Netherlands, to establish an international tribunal to criminally prosecute individuals responsible for the destruction of the Malaysian airliner," the Kremlin said in a statement after the conversation, according to UK's The Telegraph.

Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council with veto powers and can block the resolution if Malaysia formally tables the motion.

Malaysia was last year elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.

Secret report issued

Russia's resistance comes amid reports that investigations into the downing of MH17 over eastern Ukraine suggest the incident was perpetrated by Russian-backed rebels.

Yesterday CNN , quoting sources said the draft investigation report states the aircraft was shot down by a Russian-made Buk missile.

A secret draft on the outcome of the investigation led by the Dutch Safety Board has already been circulated to the relevant countries including Malaysia and Australia.

Of the 298 casualties in the tragic incident that left no survivors, 193 were Dutch followed by 43 Malaysians, 27 Australians, 12 Indonesians and 10 British citizens.

Other nationalities on board included Belgian, Canadian, German, New Zealander and Filipino.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In