MAS delegation in Beijing to brief MH370 next-of-kin

comments     Bernama     Published     Updated

MH370 A delegation from Malaysia Airline (MAS) headquarters has arrived in Beijing today to brief the Chinese next-of-kin over yesterday’s announcement, said head of marketing of MAS China, Tracy Wang.

However, no details about the briefing was given, and journalists were not allowed to go for the briefing at the office.    

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak announced early today that international experts had confirmed that the flaperon found on the French Reunion Island is from Flight MH370 - supporting an earlier conclusion that the Malaysia Airlines plane crashed into the Indian Ocean almost 17 months ago.

Dozens of media personnel, including those from foreign and local news organisations have been waiting at the ground floor of the building where MAS office is located since 9am today.

Dai Shuqin, 62, whose younger sister's families were on board MH370 said the Chinese relatives would not attend the briefing without the media’s presence.

“They have been lying to us all these while, we won’t go for the briefing if the media are not allowed to go in,” she told journalists here minutes later after Wang gave a short notification on the briefing at the ground floor of the building.

Dai did not rule out the briefing would be on the compensation payments, and she refused to accept it as she believed her loved ones were still alive.

About a dozen of Chinese family member of passengers on board MH370 are in Beijing too.

The Boeing 777-200ER carrying 239 passengers, mostly Chinese, and crew vanished from the radar on March 8 last year. It was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6.30am.

- Bernama



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In