Nik Nazmi barred, lecturers confirm muzzle
Government-owned colleges have now joined public universities in withdrawing invitations to opposition politicians with Selangor exco member Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad being the latest victim.
He today tweeted and issued a press release on Facebook saying that he had been `disinvited' by his alma matter - Kolej Yayasan UEM - which is Umno-linked.
Nik Nazmi, who studied at KYUEM in early 2000 and was president of the student council in 2001, in a letter to the college principal, Dr Paul Rogers, over the ban noted that the bar on him was due to his opposition credentials.
Rogers had in an Aug 17 letter to the PKR Seri Setia assemblyperson said that due to Nik Nazmi being in the opposition, the college, as a government-linked corporation, was in difficult position with regards to inviting him.
Nik Nazmi said while he sympathised with the position of the college, he found their decision perplexing.
“I fully understand as well as sympathise with KYUEM’s position in these difficult times for Malaysia, in which public institutions are being subverted and where the freedom of assembly, thought and speech are neither respected nor welcomed by those in power.
“Nevertheless, I must say that the college management’s decision to dis-invite me is somewhat perplexing given that I had previously spoken at the 2012 KY Summit without, as far as I am aware, incident or problem.
“Moreover, I have - before and after being elected to the Selangor assembly - participated actively in student council training and debate camps organised by KYUEM, again apparently without objection from any quarter,” he said, adding he had also spoken at international universities as well as at United Kingdom & Eire Council of Malaysian Students (UKEC) events," said Nik Nazmi ( photo ).
No discussion on 1MDB, current affairs
It is understood a ban is not only on opposition politicians attending public university events but also extends to their in-house lecturers speaking about current affairs such as the1MDB affair and the current political situation.
Several lecturers from public universities when contacted by Malaysiakini confirmed that they are barred from making any comments on 1MDB.
“I think that if you check with other public universities, it is the same situation,” said one senior lecturer on condition of anonymity.
It is understood the Higher Education Ministry has sent circulars to all public institutions instructing lecturers to abide by the directive and refrain from discussing 'current events'.
Another senior lecturer at a leading public univerity when met, also corroborated that politics or current affairs could not be discussed at her university.
The, lecturer who declined to be named, added the pressure did not likely originate from the vice-chancellor but from the ministry.
Recently, several International Islamic University students were suspended for two semesters for inviting PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli to speak at a forum lon campus ast May.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now