More time needed to complete DNA test on Morais' body

comments     Published     Updated

The police need a little more time for the DNA test to be completed before releasing the body of DPP Anthony Kevin Morais to the family, deputy inspector-general of police Noor Rashid Ibrahim said today.

He said the body had been identified from the clothing but "we have to adhere to procedures", Noor Rashid told reporters after the Aidiladha sacrificial slaughter of animals and prayers at the Bukit Aman Mosque in Kuala Lumpur, Bernama reported.

Noor Rashid ( photo ) was asked to comment on the delay by the Kuala Lumpur Hospital in releasing the body of Morais, deputy chief of the Appellate and Trial Division in the Attorney-General's Chambers, to the family.

The body of Morais, 55, was found stuffed in a cement-filled oil drum in Persiaran Subang Mewah in USJ1, Subang Jaya, last Wednesday.

He had been reported missing on Sept 4 while driving to his office in Putrajaya from his condominium in Menara Duta, Kuala Lumpur.

So far, 11 suspects have been arrested in this high-profile murder case.

No relatives of Morais were at the hospital, but at the Nirvana Memorial Park in Sungai Besi, Kevin's youngest brother Richard Morais declined to talk to reporters.

Since 10am today, family members and friends of Morais have been arriving for his wake at the Nirvana Memorial Centre, paying respects and offering prayers to a picture of the deceased.

However reporters were not allowed to enter this room. Security is tight and media personnel were told to wait in the lobby.

Additional reporting by Geraldine Tong.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In